Monday, September 20, 2010

Foreword - James Wong

James Wong’s foreword title: "Ma Chu Wai Once Again Made People Sit up and Take Notice."

Chun Wai’s manager, Frankie Fan, phoned and asked if I would write a foreword for ‘Why Suicide?’. I agreed unhesitatingly. I’ve known Chun Wai for many years, and what I remember most about him is that he would periodically come up with new stuff. It’s been so for many years. And his new stuff would always make one sit up and take notice of him with anew respect.

During Chun Wai’s early start in the entertainment circle, insiders dubbed him “Little Leon” – Siu Lai Ming. When he was introduced to me as such; he smiled, held out his hand to shake mine, and said, “Uncle Jim, I’m Ma Chun Wai.” Outwardly, this self-introduction was nothing out of the ordinary, nevertheless, it carried an undertone that caught my attention. What he had wanted to say to me was: “I’m Ma Chun Wai, not some ‘Siu Lai Ming’!” But being a newbie then, he could not very well come right out and say that, so only one of the two-phrase sentence was uttered. My instinct at that time was that this young man displayed a social knowledge way beyond his age, as well as discretion.

Later, we became colleagues in a TVB game show 1994 - (江山如此多FUN). During one of our chats, I found out that he started working at an early age. His poise, and social comportment of being neither supercilious nor obsequious were nothing short of extraordinary - this kind of knowledge provided by the university of society, he had not only learned it well but applied it well, too. I couldn’t help but be impressed by him, thus, I've had my eye on him. Through the screen, I observed his every gesture and every move. Before long, he blossomed on TV. This did not come by easily. Chun Wai has no formal acting training. But he is the kind of person who is inborn with a strong survival instinct, if needed, his fortitude will naturally emerge.

I recall the time when he performed Cao Zhi’s 7-step poem on screen, when the episode ended, I mused: wonders never ceased to amaze; who would have thought! This Ma Chun Wai’s new stuff definitely and indisputably exceeded far beyond expectation. Later, I guest hosted a Metro TV morning show. On every Saturday, there was this talk show, ‘James Bond’s Happy Hour’. I was in charge of its guest list; for one hour, I would shoot the breeze with my invited guest of the day. One day, I invited Ma Chun Wai. We talked about books; he was very knowledgeable on them. As we chatted amiably along, I was inwardly pleased with him as nothing pleases me more than well-read young people. That interview was a pleasure. Ma Chun Wai once again made me sit up and see him with new eyes and anew respect. But I would never have guessed that he would come out with this book series of ‘Ma Chun Wai’s Tales of Society’. I have only briefly skimmed through a section of the book, but I know this Ma Chun Wai will once again make people sit up and take notice of him with increased respect!

2002 September

Translator: tamaya

No comments:

Post a Comment