Sunday, October 17, 2010

1999 Ma Chun Wai, the new favorite si nai lady-killer.

1999 Ultra Protection
~~~~Ma Chun Wai, the new favorite si nai lady-killer. ~~~~

sm baidu #17
Steven has a cultured look; there’s an air of gentility to him. When he first broke into the entertainment scene, he was often perceived as someone of a privileged and wealthy background, thus, he was often asked from which overseas university did he graduate from. But in real life, he is nothing like his character Ji Yan Chu (纪彦祖) in Ultra Protection; living in a grand house with servants and housekeeper, or being chauffeured around in a luxurious car. Last month at his Lifestyle fans party, a promotional cum signing event for his new cd, Lifestyle, Steven talked about the real him to this reporter. Someone who grew up in Sham Shui district, a high school graduate, lives with parents, no privileged background or advanced education, no caviar to eat, or Mercedes Benz to ride in; that’s the real Ma Chun Wai.

“During my early days in entertainment, (as in acting) everybody took me to be an overseas graduate from a rich family. What can I say; that’s just my appearance. For the longest time, I didn’t appreciate it at all on how people perceived me; I felt that it would constraint my versatility growth as an actor,” says Steven.

Ma Zai’s portrayal of the character, Ji YanChu received critical acclaim from the viewers. Now, when people see him, they would address him as “Young Master”. (Xiu Ye Jai) As to those who had said Ma Chun Wai would not take up this kind of role, or that he was just acting as himself, how would he respond to that?

“Bowie (co-star) once said this in a TV interview: “He was just acting as himself ma!” How was I acting as myself? When did I become an acerbic person? It’s all acting on my part. I don’t eat caviar, don’t live in such a big house, and have never had a big allowance. But I do have this kind of upper-class friends. And through them, I fleshed out my character; a fastidious rich young man. How to portray him without the viewers finding him annoying? A little too overt, viewers might be turned off, so had to be very meticulous.”

Actually so far, Ma Zai has only acted in four TV series including: Files of Justice IV 1997, DOMD 1998, Healing Hands1 1998, and Ultra Protection 1999. Hitherto, his roles were mainly of loyal and steadfast, simple and honest characters. After the airing of Ultra Protection, many people asked: “How come Ma Chun Wai agree to take up this kind of role?”

“When I acted in Healing Hands, some people commented that I look like a doctor. Now, acting as a rich young man, there are people who said I’m such a baddie. Not only do I spit but also smoke as I paced mindlessly. I hope in the next series, there will be yet another character for me to flex my acting chops. Many producers after watching Ultra Protection would ask Mui Siu Ching (series’ producer) why I agreed to take up the role? She countered with: “Why not?” Now, they know I’m up to any challenges.” As an actor, Ma Zai would like to experience all kinds of different roles, with one exception; no coffin scene.

“Honestly, I simply can’t act out a scene wherein I have to lie down inside a coffin. If you want me to act as a depraved villain or as a cross dresser; fine, no problem. After all, it’s just acting.”

There are many things in showbiz that are beyond Ma Zai’s comprehension, but he knows all too well the very basic principle underlying his trade which is: artistes must have endurance for a long haul, and they must have a good knowledge of themselves, especially their strengths and weaknesses; otherwise, they will not last long in the industry. Showbiz is not a place for heroes to create current events, but for current events to create heroes. Opportunities abound but one needs to know to appreciate and cherish them.

Lately, he has much to celebrate; besides starting on his first movie soon, his song玫瑰和家明 has just shot up on the 金曲龍虎榜 (Top of the Chart for popular pop songs?) to secure the top spot. He says: “Since debuting, I’ve had already released 5 to 6 albums, but my songs were either 2nd or 3rd on the chart, never 1st. Finally, this time I got my wish. I will celebrate with my friends. Also, I’ve plans to release a mandarin album in the near future.”

Ever since Huan Zhu Ge Ge (HZGG) premiered on ATV, Hong Kong was awash in gege waves, forcing TVB executives to scramble with various strategies to battle this tidal invasion. Ultra Protection was one of their counteracting weapons against HZGG2. However, Ultra Protection was no match for HZ's popularity, and was humiliatingly trounced in the ratings, hovering around 20 odd points in average.

When asked if he had felt pressured by the result, Steven responds candidly: HZ 1 was very well done; whether in its production or in its storyline. The cast also did a good job. And the cinematography was beautifully shot. Even the songs were good and very catchy. Vicki was a good Xiao Yan Zi. As for his own Ultra Protection, (actually its storyline was rather good) but because it premiered in the middle of HZ2’s airing, in which case, the latter naturally had already retained a loyal following, its rating result was acceptable, given the circumstance. Just the fact that it held on to its own viewers and not let them drift away was in itself, remarkable.

Steven in real life has set high standards for himself. Whatever he does, it has to be done well. He says he has a dual personality. During the day under the bright sunlight, he is lively and outgoing. But come nightfall, under the darkened sky, he likes to be alone with his thoughts, quietly meditating on stuff.

In reality, what did this character, Ji Yan Chu bring to you?
“First, household viewers seem to like me. Also, elderly viewers (Ah Ba, Ah Ma) seem to like me, too. Friends would call me up and quip, “How are you? Si Na lady-killer.” I was thrilled by this label. (Tongue in cheek glib) Truly, ‘don’t care much about everlasting, only care that I was once a lady-killer.’ (Playing on the pun don’t care about having an everlasting love, care only that I once was in love.) Honestly, it is but an illusory title! What is more amazing to me was the news from my recording company informing me that the first day order of my cd is already sold out. Of those who bought my albums, 70% of them are si nai and married women.”

Ma Zai says he is happy to accept the label, but just as quickly points out that he is only one of the many with such label. He says modestly: I feel that maybe my ‘lethality’ is not of the potent kind, that’s why viewers find it much easier to accept me.”

Presently, as a singer and as an actor, he has two separate groups of fans of all ages, one for his singing and one for his acting; even the men love him!

“Many male viewers like me too. When I ride a cab, the driver would talk nonstop with me about a series; right from the time I got in until the time I got off. They didn’t even know I am also a singer until then. Once, I went into an electric appliance store to buy an interior antenna. After looking around, I chose a particular one and asked the owner: “Ah Goh, is this a good one?” He said: “Take it home and try it out. If it’s ok, then come back with the payment.” He would not have done this to another customer. Even the policemen when they saw me on the street would quip: “Mr. Ma, out shopping, ah? Where are your bodyguards?” (Referring to his bodyguards in Ultra Protection) These exchanges of pleasantries made me very happy. What’s more, it proved that people have changed their negative opinion of me."

Afterword:
It is in this very series that Steven lost his virgin screen kiss to…ta-da Bowie. And his disgusted reaction after that kiss was hilarious. As he had hoped, Steven had successfully portrayed an immature, spoilt rich brat who can be annoying, into a likable character, occasionally, acting as a comedic relief. His Xiu Ye Zai (Young Master) was very endearing and extremely adorable. Just like his Dr. Joe in Healing Hands 1, Steven held his own against the more seasoned actors; imo, in this series he even stole some scenes from Bowie.


Translator: Tamaya
Original source: unknown
credit:温馨马仔小屋
pix link = baidu - Ultra Protection screencaps
Video downloadtudou download - Ultra Protection series

While googling Ultra Protection, I found this website,fortunecity, with Ultra Protection summary by episode.


Posted Image


[旧闻]师奶杀手男人新宠马浚伟(1999年)马浚伟外表斯斯文文、一副富家子弟样,出道时便被人认为他的家庭背景一定不错,亦有人常问他从哪能儿读完大学回来,但现实生活中,他并不如《非常保镖》纪彦祖这个角色般在靓屋住、有工人、有靓车坐、有管家。

上月中,在广州中天购物城,由广州明大.至尚传播有限公司举办的“至尚生活态度——马浚伟LIFESTYLEFANSPARTY中天购物城签名会”上,马浚伟对记者剖白了他的真实一面……

一个在深水埗屋村长大、中学毕业、与父母同居、没有什么特别优厚背景、学历,没有鱼子酱吃、劳斯莱斯坐的,便是马浚伟。



少爷仔的演技

“刚刚入行不久,个个都以为我在外国毕业回来,家里又有钱,但我这个样子生成这样,无话可说,有一阵子我真的不太喜欢别人这样看我,亦觉得有碍我的发展!”马浚伟说。

马仔饰演纪彦祖这个角色,大受好评,现在有不少人见到他,亦会以少爷仔来称呼,对于有人认为马浚伟根本不会演这一类角色,又或是觉得他只是做回自己,他怎样观之?

“有一次林保怡在电台访问中说:‘他做回自己嘛!’我怎样做回自己呢?我何时是一个很‘尖刻’的人?这只是我演技。我不吃鱼子酱,房子没有这么大,未试过这么多钱用,身边的确有这一类太子爷朋友,我只是从他们身上揣摩这个角色,一个挑剔的有钱仔,怎样演才会令观众不会觉得让人讨厌呢?过一点儿火位,观众亦会产生反感,所以要好谨慎。”

基本上,马仔只拍过四个剧集,包括《壹号法庭》、《鹿鼎记》、《妙手仁心》及《非常保镖》,大部分也是忠直、戆居的角色,在《非常保镖》一剧播映后,很多人会问:“这何马浚伟会肯演这一类角色?”

“拍《妙手仁心》这一段时间,有人说我好像医生,今次做有钱仔,又有人说我够坏,又要吐痰、又要刁着根烟仔周围走,我觉得下一部剧集,还会有第二种角色给我发挥。很多监制看完《非常保镖》,都会问梅小青我怎么会肯演?小青姐反而说怎么不肯呀?,相反,现在很多人会觉得原来马浚伟是能演的。”



抗拒拍睡棺材戏

拍电影的他,应该会有可能候选新人奖,他深信自己会踏入另一个新里程。每个演员,均有个人的接受程度,马仔什么角色也愿尝试,但有一种戏,他真的不想去拍。

“说真的!真是有点儿怕,我接受不到拍睡棺材的戏,你要我做大奸大恶,反串做人妖都无所谓,演戏就是演戏,我很欣赏张学友,烂仔又演、大奸大恶又做,很成功的,但不明白他为何拿不到金像奖男主角?”马仔一脸无奈的说。

纵使马仔仍有多个不明白,但他深明这一行的道理,做这一行要持久,一定要有自知之明,否则便会很快消失,这一行不会有“英雄造时势”,只会“时势造英雄”,机会就算有一大堆,仍需要自己懂得珍惜和感激呢!



想同巩俐合作

谈到电影,steven十分雀跃,还手舞足蹈,原来其崇拜的偶像,最想合作的演员是巩俐,他十分欣赏她具有东方女性特质、神韵,且演技流畅自然,对《大红灯笼高高挂》《红高梁》更是赞不绝口。他更笑言,因巩俐多拍农村题材的电影,如有机会合作,定先把自己晒黑。

唱歌出身的他,最近可谓喜事连连,除开拍处女电影,向东南亚市场发展外,其最新大碟中的主打歌《玫瑰和家明》亦首次打进了金曲龙虎榜的第一名,他笑言,出道至今,已经出过五六张唱片,但打榜的歌最棒的都是拿第二三名,还没有尝试过拿第一,这次总算还了自己的心愿,一定要和亲朋好友庆祝一下。而稍后还会推出国语大碟。



STEVEN眼中的“还珠格格”

自从《还》剧在亚视播映后,收视频频报捷,在港掀起“格格热”,迫得无线几次变阵来应付危机。而此时steven主演的剧集《非常保镖》亦在为战时武器,与《还》剧同时段播映,由于《还》剧气热汹汹,所以《非》剧亦只能保持二十点左右收视。

问及steven可有感到压力,steven坦言,《还》剧第一部拍得很好,无论从制作、故事架构,及演员搭配都给予人新鲜感觉,外景亦十分漂亮、别致。而且主打歌十分好听、琅琅上口。steven眼中的小燕子——赵薇,大大的眼睛,蛮小鸟依人;而对自己主演的《非常保镖》,其实故事亦很好,由于《非》剧开始播映时,《还》剧已开播一段时间,拥有一定量的观众了,所以这个成绩属正常。观众没有流失,已经算是成功了。而《还》剧播出亦更能促进无线制出精良的剧集。



生活中的真情剖白

生活中的steven对自己的要求很高,凡事都希望能做到最好。他坦言自己是一个双重性格的人,白天太阳照射的时候,会感受到其活泼、外向的一面;而到了晚上,在漆黑的夜空中,又喜欢一人独处,静静地思考问题。

而感情方面,虽然要求不是很高,但也有一个标准,不需要太精明,有点糊涂吧,也不需要太漂亮,恬淡、自然一点。



没有杀伤力的杀手

纪彦祖这一个角色,实际给你带来的,又是什么?

“第一,家庭观众会喜欢我,阿爸阿妈阶层的观众亦喜欢我,有朋友打电话给我‘怎么样呀!师奶杀手?’这样称呼我,我会觉得 很开心,真的‘不在乎天长地久,只在乎曾经是杀手。’我不会说假话,这个只是虚名哦!最惊讶的是新碟推出的第一天,那个唱片公司告诉我:第一天订单已卖完,而且买我唱碟的,十个有七个是师奶太太们。”

马仔坦言乐于接受此称呼,况且他也不是第一代师奶杀手。他亦谦虚地说:“我觉得可能自己杀伤力不大,所以观众容易接受我!”



男士们也改观

现时,身为歌手、艺员的他不单拥有一班歌迷,还有一大班不同年纪的电视拥趸支持,连男人都爱上他呢!

“很多男性观众都喜欢我,搭的士,司机大佬就不停同我讲剧情,由上车讲到下车,他们根本不知道我会唱歌,最近才会留意到,有一天,我去电器铺买室内用的天线,我拣完之后,问老板:‘阿哥!这个款好不好呢?’他答:‘你先拿回家里试一下!试完okay再来给钱,换了其他人就不可以这样!’甚至街上见到警察,他们会笑说:‘马先生,逛街呀!你的一些保镖呢?’这些一言两语的对话,实在令我很开心,再一次证明大家对我已改观吧!”

马仔是歌手,还做过《天地最前线》的主持,也有拍电视剧,9月份,他还接拍了一部电影,若要他来分配,他会将百分之五十的时间放在歌唱事业上,其余时间当然放在演戏方面啦!


No comments:

Post a Comment