Monday, October 4, 2010

2002 Sisters Magazine - Ada Choi: Decent by Nature.

Steven's interview of Ada as part of his "Women in Mazai's Eyes" column in the 2002 Sisters Magazine.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:10 AM
Read what Steven wrote about Ada Choi in his 2002 column assignment for Sisters No.721.  温馨马仔小屋 - see enlarged images

《马仔眼中的女人》蔡少芬:我本善良
The women in Ma Zai's Eyes
Ada Choi: Decent by Nature.
To look at Ada Choi, the feeling is as if looking at a side of a fan. The snow white side of it is what most people think of her brilliant acting skill, her elegance and dignity; strong yet compassionate. In truth, she is all that.

But the other side of her resembles another side of a “peach blossom” fan* “亂世桃花逐水流” . In her past, she had experienced an episode beyond her control, much like a beauty whose head was fractured and blood dripped from it onto the fan, spotting it with peach blossom dots. This mixture of bloody peach blossoms and the ink lightly tainted her snow-white spirit with a layer of gray, greatly infusing her with a sense of inferiority. Hidden deep within her being are vulnerability, insecurity, and the need of protection from other people. What are the reasons that made her radiate such strong contrasting perceptions? It all goes back to the earlier years of her maturation.

I admit I appreciate Ada Choi. This appreciation, respect and friendship happened in one chanced conversation. When shooting a Hong Kong TVB series, “Healing Hands 1", I was extremely troubled by my mother’s failing health due to her cancer relapse. One day, I was crouching by the roadside all by myself, smoking a cigarette, lost in thoughts; my heart was in extreme pain. Suddenly, before my eyes, appeared a smiling face. She walked lightly towards me, and subsequently engaged me in conversation, showing much concern for my problems. At that moment, I felt a sense of deep friendship from her. From young, I had a reserved personality, so besides being grateful to her sincere gesture, what puzzled me more was why she would take the initiative to reach out to other people. She truly has a good heart. Ada told me; her own personal experience shows her the importance of taking the initiative to care for other people.

“I guess this kind of thinking has something to do with my own maturation. Since elementary schools, because of the constant house moving, just the elementary schools, I’d transferred at least 20 times from one school to another; always taking on the role of a transfer student. Usually teachers do not like transfer students so I was always bullied. The wish for friends was very strong.

“At high school because I was especially tall, so was discriminated against by schoolmates. Moreover, my parents were very strict. As soon as school ended, I must be home. Not allowed to participate in any extracurricular activities. In middle school, I had only been on just two school field trips. Really didn’t know how to communicate with other people. To find friends, I joined this group of bad schoolmates. And also learned to swear from them, even though I didn’t know much about swearing then. Later, I would use a ruler to cut my hand, causing both hands to be covered with bruises. This made me think I was being a cool character. Actually, at the time, I did not think much, had no opinions whatsoever. This was the period in my life when I was at my worst. Until I met a Baptist schoolmate. She showed me that even without treating others to breakfast, there are still people who cared about you. She truly cared about me without conditions. I’m very grateful to her.”

Ada has felt the sadness of being without friends, so whenever she sees helpless people, she will, of her own accord, show them concern, comfort and help. This kind of making friends attitude enables her to find genuine friendship in the entertainment world. Didn’t know that I would become one of the beneficiaries too. At the time, her each and every word truly comforted my then hurting spirit.
.......................................................

The lengthy article went on to describe how Ada became a Christian and how it changed her life for the better. Before then she had thought of committing suicide many times. But now her faith in God gives her strength, guidance and comfort, and she is much happier because of it.

桃花扇* ref: The legend of the peach blossoms fan.


                                                                        



 
A SM fan once wrote this to me: "Of all Steven’s talents, the one most drawn me to him is his writings. I cried all the way back in my flight home from Hong Kong reading his book “I’m the relative of a patient,” especially the portion where he wrote about his mother.” 

Unfortunately for me, the only Steven's book I own is his latest, "图文并谬". Nevertheless, that book together with his blog entries, his 2002 memoirs and some of the selected chapters from his other books all laboriously typed onto his fansite made me appreciate Steven’s diverse talents all that more. Steven writes straight from his heart, with simple elegance, with acute discernment, and most of all, with compassion and sensitivity. He writes to express and communicate his thoughts, feelings and values; he writes to empathize, to praise and to motivate, but most of all, he writes for the sheer pleasure of writing. Good for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment