Saturday, May 28, 2011

Apprentice Chef II epi 2 Steven as chef


Don't understand why my video and audio are out of sync.  Also why the video quality is so bad.

Transcript below



Now that the 3 chefs’ nervousness has ended it is now time for me to be nervous because in every episode in AC, I will learn a culinary skill. Please applaud to show your encouragement to me.

Good, now let see immediately what skill did I learn?

Voice over: To show off a skill in from of a panel of experts requires guts and knowledge, and strategy. This time the challenge that Ma Zai decides to take on is the fundamental cooking skill – knife skill. Knife skill is the requisite skill required in cooking different dishes. Each dish requires different cutting method to shape the ingredients.

Introduce the chef.

Paraphrasing:
Steven: How to perfect knife skill to the highest expertise? I’ll need you to show me how?
C: Even though this is not a food ingredient but it is a good material to practice the knife skill with.
S: cutting the newspaper?
C: Right
S: wow, really impressive. Where is the skill?
C: When you first begin, for sure you can’t slice this finely, so ok to be thicker.
S: As fine as a hair strand. Do you need to drag the knife?
C: No need, just push is ok
S: slight push is ok.
C: push forward
S: I can only slice the top part
C: that, is the matter of skill
S: yes, need skill to slice through to the bottom
C: yes
S: guess it’s passable

Voice over: One of Chef Wong’s specialty is the *** Tower. The recipe is very intricate …………

C: Once the dong bo meat is done, you freeze to harden it but it can’t get so hard that you can’t cut through it. Afterwards, use a special utensil

S: A hexagon shaper
C: So now we slice it – (tn: notice the position of the chef’s hand and compare with Steven’s later)
S: so begins the exciting first step
C: Right, when it gets to the angle, turn
S: Will it break easily?
C: very easy
S: just missed a little and it’ll break
C: from one end to another is a strip of pork
S: Wah!
C: And then roll it back up and put it inside the shaper and stuffed with preserved veggie. (mui choi)
S: Wah! Pretty!


S: Wah! Actually it’s very nerve wrecking. So now I will follow the chef’s instructions to do it. So I’ll use the hexagonal shaper..
T: The chef said not to freeze it too hard, or else can’t cut through
S: Yes, Chef said the most important thing is to cut the hexagon nicely.
T: it looks a bit uneven
S: Chef said need to trim it. The hexagon can be considered done. Let’s go
T: Ok, let’s go
S: You’re making me nervous (notice Steven’s finger on the top of the meat) Please don’t turn on the previous background music. Just the sound of it makes me nervous.
T: This is the time to see the knife skill
T: Wah, the first slice is quite successful
S: Are you being sarcastic to me?
T: No, it’s the truth. Your hand’s shaking
S: No, I’m exerting force
Jacky: Ma Zai, don’t hold it like that, very easy to cut your hand. Hold the bottom. Easy to cut your hand

T: Ok, Ma Zai, I’ve a request. The strip is getting thicker as you go along. Haha! very thick now
Chung: the thicker it is the faster it will be
S: Don't hurry me, I will cut my finger
T: and the hexagon is starting to change shape
S: Is it?
T: A little. Let me see
Chung: Has become round
May: this dish I will not make, because I’ll sure to cut my finger
T: I notice May jie’s fingers very pretty
May: I’ll dine in Jacky’s restaurant
S: Aiya! (TN: darn! Steven’s yelp scared me. Thought he cut himself)

Chorus: Aiya!

S: The most important in cooking is to be able to change as situation changes . If I cut the strip longer then the tower will be taller. Well, at least there’s this much. It’s not bad, right? (applause) I’ll roll it up
T: looks very thick
Chung: What kind of tower is that?
T: the one at home (tn: lol! Human’s poop/stool. Good one, Tavia.)

Chorus: hahaha

S: You get to eat this later. Really!
T: Ok wo! I discover you cut it real thick. Good thing you did not cut the whole thing.
S: You think I want to cut this thick?
T: It’s true or else you can’t stuff it all in
May: He wants to save on the mui choi
S: pour it back out
T: Wah!

Applause

S: BB version, right?
T: Actually, it’s ok wo. Not really that bb
S: not counted as bb, right?
T: right
S: Ok, let’s go steam it

20 mins later

S: wah, so pretty. Here, I’ll let you open this.
T: Yeah, I’d nothing to do here, standing here feeling bored.
S: ok, this is the opening ceremony. So use these button mushrooms as stone props
T: as fake stones?
S: Do you not think that inside the lily pond there is a tower? Pour the gravy on

Voice over: This ***tower specialty dish is very well known. Of course on his first attempt Steven would not be able to get 10% of it right.

Audience: Very fragrant of mui choy. Very tender.
S: How’s my knife skill?
Female: Very tasty;
Male: Delicious, during a horse stance cutting the piece, impressive! Ho yeh! (tn:horse stance as in kung fu)

S : Finally I myself have to stand in this location. So now let’s hear the 4 star judges’ comments on my Dong Bo pork. Actually, it is quite nerve wrecking over here.

Chung: So it’s your turn now. You teased others too much.
To Tavia: You said you saw his hand shaking

T: His horse stance shook
S: That is not shake, you had to exert force. It can’t be too big ma..
T: Be more humble. More humble
S: oh, ok
T: let the chef speak
Chung: go ahead, speak
S: can’t use too much force, need to restrain it. Need to press forward and need to restrain, so a little shaky.
T: Actually, I really like to eat mui choy. Mui choy is delicious. Just now I know the reason why chef said it is horse meat. Is it because the meat is slightly rough?
Chung: Right, your flesh is more tender.

T: Is it because it was overcooked? I know it is because your knife skill is still lacking.
S: the strip is too thick.
T: right on
Jacky: I’ve to say I admire you. Actually during the shoot, he only saw it done once. And with just one observation he could already did so well, truly very…do you have an interest to come work at my place?

S: Aiya, thank you, Jacky. Thank you, everybody. And back to the two chef contestants.

No comments:

Post a Comment