Thursday, June 2, 2011

Steven Ma Shares his work experiences with AIA employees



2011 June 2nd – After Steven Ma started hosting Book of Words II and Apprentice Chef, and because both tv programs garnered favorable ratings and feedback, and that Steven is well-versed in both literatures and martial arts  (文武双全) , as well as having a well established upright and healthy image, he has been invited by both the insurance and the education sectors as guest speaker to share his working experiences with the people in the industry.

Recently, Steven accepted AIA’s invitation as guest speaker for its 《AIA MDRT 1299》(tn: American International Assurance Million Dollar Round Table 1299 - HK) and shared his work experiences with thousands of AIA elite employees.

Before becoming an artiste, Steven worked in the publishing, and in the commerce sectors, therefore, he fully understands that the biggest problem encountered by the insurance employees has got to do with rejections from customers provoking both frustrations and stress.  During his speech, he candidly admitted that he himself has participated 44 times in singing competition, and that the earlier 43 times all failed, not until his 44 attempt did he clinch the championship. He said: “I like to sing and act, so I didn’t place much importance on winning and losing, only wanted to enjoy the competition process. Every time I lost, I would see it as the beginning of success for my next attempt. This perseverance on ideals, this never-give-up spirit, has not changed even till today.”

Steven believes that the road to success is full of thorns; en route will encounter many setbacks; must not fear failures but continue to endeavor and work hard; willing to persevere; willing to do self re-examination; willing to advance; in the end will sure to succeed. Steven’s positive attitude had a group of AIA employees enrapt and happy. After the talk, a Macao AIA employee immediately invited Steven as guest speaker for the Macao branch. Steven says: “I won't presume that my sharing was for sure motivational for the audience, but as a self retrospection, I did indeed benefit enormously from it!" (tn: Steven's weibo)

Having work in the entertainment circle for so many year, Steven has experienced both the high and the low, the rise and the fall, and has tasted all flavors of the sweet and the sour, the bitter and the spicy. However, he rejoices he possesses such experiences. He says that people must continue to add value to their self-worth so as to create choices for themselves.  If people lose the power to choose, that will be the most painful. Good image brings Steven many opportunities. Working hard at the job will bring forth good returns; Steven believes tomorrow will be even better.

source: http://www.east38.com/article/id_9493.html



 related material: AIA guest speaker; 
steven's memoir

Recall Steven's words on his singing competition:

Luckily, I discovered something quite early in life: I like to sing. From a young age, I joined and participated in all kinds of singing and reciting extra-curriculum. If there’s music, I would be like a happy birdie, singing non stop; worries would be summarily cast aside. Music became my childhood favorite pastime.

4. ~~Crowned Champion~~
Fortunately, it was through my 40 odd early failures that I got to really know my own personality. I’m not an obstinate person by nature, but of perseverance, I do have some. If my mind is made up on something, I will carry it through, regardless. The repeated failures did not deter or crush me. They were only a temporary setback; opportunities still abound. I was not at all disheartened or heart stricken by my failures. “I don’t believe I can’t even be a champion for at least one time.” It was this self-belief that sustained me time and again to join the singing competitions. I admit, in my quest to achieve my objective, I was extremely single-minded and persistent.

Actually, there were lots of young people like me in Hong Kong who simply refused to accept failures at face value. As my singing contest participations increased, I noticed a group of people who also did not know the meaning of defeat. Although we were contenders in different contests, there was no enmity among us; in fact, we constantly encouraged each other. The outcome of these numerous competitions, besides tasting success, was that I made some good friends. As to that championship, its accomplishment happened through self-critiques and subsequent improvements from these trials. My repeated failures and tenacious forging ahead had me thinking that blind emulation of a singer’s style and skills just wouldn’t cut it. I decided to learn singing from a teacher. My initiation teacher was Ms. Liang Yue Ling. From her, I learned the basic vocal techniques. She was the one who taught me how to integrate fake and true voices as one. She was also the one who recommended Jacky Cheung’s 李香蘭 as my entry song, thus garnering points on the degree of difficulty. Naturally, I was most thankful to Teacher Liang for my win on this competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment