Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tsui Yong Yong, Love me love the people I care about: Steven Ma

Columnist: Tsui Yong Yong (Steven Ma’s ex-manager of his publishing co.)

蓉蓉乐道 @ Eastweek #417  
Title: 爱屋及乌 (Love me,love my dog.)

Tsui's credential: Veteran news person, chief editor of a publishing house. Over 30 years of experiences in entertainment news and interviews; have witnessed the rise and fall of a sea of stars. A lover of words who loves to roam in the world of words. Only wish to be a happy and strong person.

爱屋及乌 (similar to English idiom: Love me,love my dog.)
I can't believe a nonentity like myself due to my ten years working with Steven Ma would inexplicably become a person in the news on the day I resigned. Reading other people's reports on me, I was both shocked and pleasantly surprised.  Shocked, that if you work for a celebrity in any capacity, you would somehow also get on the news. Pleasantly surprised, that there are still so many veteran news brothers and sisters who care about me. Though I made no queries or probes (tn: into their motives for such reports), but their heartfelt protectiveness was inordinately strong; therefore, towards my former news colleagues' unanimous staunch protection of me, my heart rejoiced notwithstanding I feel the unfairness towards Steven Ma. Today I had to pick up my pen to recount a past incident so as to enable others to look into the other side of Steven's heart.




It is well known that Steven and Daniel Chan (陈晓东) have had the late Tai Si Chung (戴思聪) as teacher, and their status was that of senior and junior fellow students. Normally because of work they seldom interacted. Actually, I did not even know that Steven cared so much about Daniel until one day when Daniel's former manager died of an accident.  Her death led people to point their fingers at Daniel. People speculated that her death happened because she could not withstand the managerial pressure from her job, hence her death wish. The dead is now deceased, but how does the living withstand the stormy tribulations ahead?

At this moment in time, while still working in the news world, I received Steven's phone call: "Tsui jie, please help Dong Dong ba!"

I understood Dong Dong's feelings at the time, because coincidentally I had just finished doing a print interview with him. The article talked about his collaborative relationship with his manager, about his gratitude towards her support and efforts put forth for him.  I believe her death hit him harder than any other people.

At one go, I whipped up a write-up of over 7,000 words and had printed it on Ming Pao weekly. The next day I received Dong Dong's phone call. He did not say anything, only choked out this sentence: "Tsui Jie, I welcome you to attend her funeral."

During the funeral, Dong Dong put my Ming Pao Weekly article into the cremation incinerator. "Rest in peace!" Dong Dong said softly to the fire.  

Those in the industry all know that while in the entertainment circle I was well loved by many artistes. Any event that was barred to others, I always had the opportunity to receive an invitation to attend.

Do not think that was due to my status as the Director of Interviews at the time.  In actuality, I knew a lot of artistes' personal and private matters but if they did not want me to write them up then I would rather forfeit news and not report.

This is not stupidity but integrity.  Stuff you friends told you, can you tell?  So, I earned their respect and trust.

This world changes day by day; when a matter is still progressing, wait until it has become clear and obvious then reveal, that way it will be a complete news story. Why not wait a while?  Why fabricate news? No benefit towards self but causes great harm to others, moreover, will not leave a veracious page to posterity.  What kind of a news world is this.

That Steven had closely followed this matter evinced his silent concern for Dong Dong. True, he is this kind of person, often concealing everything inside his heart; if not happy will vent to close friends who are like family to him. Sometimes truly frustrated by him; also he is very stubborn, when arguing with him, sometimes truly wanted to 「伸」他两脚。(??)

But, I can assure you he is a good person, a very kindhearted person, don't hurt him anymore. Who knows, you all will see us walk together again. Why did I leave?  To study, because there is still this wish I want to fulfill. Steven supports me, that's why he lets me leave him temporarily.

Very fast, this twin swords will soon come together again; everybody will see once again good friends mutually helping each other. I am very grateful to my news friends for their protection of me, but even more so, I hope because of their love for me they will also love those I care about.


No comments:

Post a Comment