Sunday, April 15, 2012

tv weekly vol 276 DGD - Happiness

当旺爸爸 欢乐翻天

Translation on page 3 below
Steven Ma, amid sound of laughter says ‘au revoir’. 
Daddy Good Deeds is Steven Ma’s last TVB series, although for Steven himself and his audience this inevitably evoked a feeling of reluctant parting, the course of pursuing the series as it unfolded however was elicited much laughter and effusive talks. No display of melancholy, Steven natural, comedic performances brought much happiness to many people. An au revoir will surely have a “will meet again” one day. Fate departs, fate returns. I believe it won’t be long before he will once again bring us even more pleasant surprises.

A 'temporary parting' series
For me, conversely, this series did not evoke parting sorrow. This series is my 'au revoir' TVB series, but can’t say it would my last. Frankly, for me there was none of this parting sorrow because this series is very warm and happy, a light comedy genre; the audience will feel happy watching it, too.  Tears in laughter, laughter in tears. We were also very happy filming it because the main cast was not many, two families comprising of eight people, who were almost together everyday so we got very close to each other, of course, there were many revolving artists participating as guest stars. I feel the subject matter itself is very rich. In the past for a while, I once thought that for a series to be good, the actors’ concerted efforts were of the utmost importance, but now although the actors’ efforts can't be underestimated, the scriptwriting team's skill actually is the most important. Naturally, all actors hope to encounter a good script. In the past two years, I have become good friends with many seasoned scriptwriters and from them I understand the roles better. Whether a series can become a hit or not, the script will be the critical element, it is undeniably the true linchpin of a series. Daddy Good Deeds’ script is really great, so when I got hold of the script I didn’t have to worry much. Just follow the script to act and I will be fine.

4 Different Occupations
"If no longer an actor and had to look for another livelihood, I would choose to be a badminton coach."
Because in the series I love money a lot, so I work multiple jobs. I work as a badminton coach, a taxi-driver, a group discounts seller, and also a TV outdoor scene coordinator, so I frequently have different looks to match my occupations, quite funny actually. I want to thank the producer and the scriptwriter for incorporating my love of badminton into the series so that while filming the series could also promote badminton, this made me very happy. Because of this, Siu Ching jeh and the scriptwriter held a special conference with me to get to know the real me better, and only then created the character.

Q: If given the chance to choose among the four occupations, which one would you pick?

Badminton coach, for sure. (big laugh) Though it may not earn a lot of money but it is my passion. If I quit acting and look for another job as livelihood I would choose to be a badminton coach because I feel that badminton has become a part of my life already, and also even eat a lot of stuff and still can’t get fat. (big laugh) They all said if I don’t want to be actor I can be an athlete. (smile)

Q: Saw you in a scene looking like Liu Xiang hurdle jumping.

Because in the series I’m good at sports, hence that specially designed scene. As for that action, its level of difficult wasn’t that high, but when shot would make people think that. Wah! Giving that incredible kind of feel. (big laugh) I often exercise, so a lot of action portion I would do it myself, no need for stuntman. Moreover, I did a lot of ancient period dramas that have had many martial arts fighting scenes so when shooting a modern series, many of the actions would feel comparatively simple.

Comedic Performance
 “Actually, my real person can be very comical. ” 
The role did not constraint me much, on the contrary, it gave free rein to my own imagination. I remember three days after starting work, Siu Ching jeh rang me up on the phone. She said to me: “Ma Zai, no problem, you continue to act that way. Very funny.” (smile) So, I continued with that kind of feel for the later performances. Actually, my real person can be very comical. (big laugh)

Q: You and Edwin pretending in the ‘Brokeback Mountain’ scene were hilarious.

He is searching for his ex-girlfriend, but I thought he was searching for a male because his girlfriend’s name was a man’s name. In the series, he actually considers me to be just an older brother but he always had these little mannerisms, and was very intimate with me so made me misunderstand that he liked me. (smile) and in my dream, we both even had this Brokeback. Mountain makeover, which is a big highlight.

Q:Would this kind of scene during filming feel awkward?

No, I feel that as an actor, no need to worry too much. Our series is a light comedy, even if there were really a true “Brokeback Mountain” kind of drama, so long it has a good script, I am still willing to act. I feel as an actor, one should try out all kinds of roles. I always anticipate receiving a challenging role that gives me room to flex my acting chops. My next tv series is a pre-modern drama. Its challenge is very big, its tentative name is “Yuan Yang Pei”. I will portray two brothers: one good, one bad; both have love relationships with the female lead. I’ve read 20 episodes of the script and this script is considered as having 22 episodes. But actually when filmed it can even be more than that. I think at least 25 episodes. I’m very much looking forward to it. This kind of role elates me. When I accept a series, the primary criteria will be the script itself.

His female co-stars.

Not going to translate the last paragraph where it rehashed Steven's thoughts on his three sisters.

 Page 1 talks about DGD, the series. Page 2 talks Lam Fatt and Man Shuk
page 4 - on Miu Siu Ching; page 5-about HK tv war.

credit: steven-ma fansite

click to enlarge:
page 1 page 2page 3 ; page 4 page 5 


3 comments:

  1. tamaya,waiting for your translation :)

    thanks for the articles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tamaya,

    This is a compliment.
    Reading your translations..... I really improved my Mandarin/Cantonese.
    It is acute, as if listening to it being spoken....but in English!

    Thank you. Keep it up.
    I am always around,

    Love
    Jeong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeong, thanks for the compliment, glad that you're enjoying my translations. See you around.

    ReplyDelete