Saturday, June 22, 2013

Steven Ma's Comeback Album《Cherish》

馬浚偉再出新碟《Cherish》 百萬投資 分文不收
Steven Ma's Comeback Album Cherish; Over A million HKD Investment but not charged a dime.
source: link ihktv-mingpao weekly 第2328期娛樂 123

In preparation for his new album, "Cherish", Steven Ma has assembled a UN-ish production team.  "The musicians are in Los Angeles, remix in Germany, cd packaging & printing in Japan; their coordination kept me extremely busy."  'Travel various nations', won't the investment be huge? "The production cost is certainly high but fortunately the friendship cards call-out has reduced the total cost by 30% ."

Presently shooting the TVB series, Property Protector (守業者), Steven is also busy preparing the upcoming promotion and release of his new Hi Fi Christian songs album, "Cherish", as well as rehearsing for his July mini-concert. So, could it be that Steven has mastered the skill of being in different places at the same time?

Steven smiles and says: "It's true I'm  very busy but my spirit is high. In recent years, I entered the recording studio mainly to sing tv series theme songs but this time releasing a new album again - from selecting the location, to accepting songs, to composing music and writing lyrics, to remix, to photoshoot - I was fully involved in all of them - the whole process imbued with blood and tears and sweat combined. "

And so this reporter listened to Steven's recounting this big production that came about through blood, sweat and tears combined. "Its inception started last November. The process required lots of coordination. First, the musicians are in Los Angeles (US), while I, in Hong Kong. Everytime I finished the recording of a song (tn: sang al capella), its audio file was sent to them (musicians) so that they could duly play and record their instrumental music. When I received their music audio file, I re-sang the song for the 2nd time, this time with the music accompaniment. The remix is by German Stcokfisch, while cd packaging and printing were done in Japan.  Lots of efforts went into it. "

The total production cost got to be at least over 1 million HKD.  Fortunately,  through 'frugal Ma's' diligent swiping of his friendship card, the total cost was reduced by 30%.  "This album investment is by a Christian group and I want to help them keep the costs down. I'm grateful that many Christian friends are willing to oblige."  Take Steven himself for example, it's as if he is doing a charity work. "I don't receive any remuneration for recording this cd. (tnnor does he get paid for his performance in his concert.)  I've already told the investors, give me my portion of royalty only after the album has breakeven. Producing this cd is very meaningful, I'll not dispute the amount of money." 

It is because of this warm sincerity that he is able to get his idol Vivian Chow to attend his new album news conference. She was his idol during his school days.

Aside, Steven will hold a mini concert on July 13 & 14. "There's this one part in the show whereby I will share my late mother's story.  She has been gone all these years but I still can't get rid of my melancholy. I hope with this opportunity I can finally release myself. At the same time I encourage those with a sick family member to attend the sharing. (Steven's late mother is his Achilles heel, can he continue to sing?)

"It can't be avoided. Can only ready plenty of tissues. I don't know if the audience will be moved to tears, only that I hope when they leave the auditorium they are filled with a positive energy."

No comments:

Post a Comment