Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Boss mag interview 马浚伟——心照不宣

pix on baidu thread2013-07-03 15:13



Will find time to translate this interview, meanwhile enjoy the pictures of skinny legged gentleman
source: Boss Mag July Edition.
interview similar to this sk-ii article especially the less than favorable intro.


BOSS: B
Steven Ma: S

On Acting - So long have a goal, then unafraid of falling down
BOSS: Since debuting, you have acted in many tv series and brought to life many characters, leaving a deep impression on the audiences, for yourself, which roles are your favorites?

S: Actually, since debuting, the roles I love more are Cao Ji from "Where the Legend Begin", and  Yik Jo On from 7 Days in Life, and also the dual characters Tang Ting Xuan and Lai Fu from last year mainland series, Yuan Yang Pei 《鸳鸯配》.  Because these characters have distinctive characteristics and moreover quite different from my other roles, so when I performed these characters there were distinctive idiosyncrasies in their personalities, thus enabling the entire series itself to be more three dimensional.

B:  How similar are the characters to you? Was there any role you particularly want to challenge or to experience?.

S:  I think the character most like my own personality is Sing Yat On from A Journey Called Life because like him I also like sports. Also how we conduct ourselves as a person and our outlook on life are very similar.  I too have set a goal for myself, and I will give it my all to move towards its direction, even if in the process there are falls, blood, tears, and hardship, but so long the heart has a goal then won't give up.

B: Recently you are back in TVB preparing to shoot the new series,  Property Protector《守业者》and with old partner, Tavia Yeung, to boot.  Does this series hold any special meaning for you?

S: This is my first tvb series after changing to a different form of collaboration from before, so I take it very seriously. Also this time my partner is Tavia. We have collaborated many times already.  Even when she first entered the industry her first mv was to shoot my mv.  Later, we collaborated in numerous series, our relationship is very good so  we are happy working together.  Also because we are very familiar with each other so don't have to waste time getting to know each other, can straight away start filming and spark chemistry.  Moreover, our personalities are more direct, if there's problem we will say it directly. Such as if we have requirement on ourselves and on the other person, we will mention it without hesitation.  So our collaboration in a series goes extra smoothly.

B: What's your character like in Property Protector?  What kind of ending?
S: In PP, I portray an entrepreneur. Tavia is an employee. In a Republican era and a feudal society background, our characters' status indeed cause a bit of a conflict but of course we will fall in love with each other.  But as to whether we will end up together I can't say for sure, will have to depend on the scriptwriter.

B: Will this series have location filming in Guangzhou.  You entered mainland market in 2012 and have also participated in many events, have you gotten use to working there?

S: Actually last year I stayed in mainland for quite a long time, so I'd acclimatized. Also made many friends including actors, directors and producers etc.  Felt everybody was friendly, moreover, my adaptation is very strong so I acclimatized rather fast.

On Music - Had never abandon Singing. 
B: Recently you not only accepted numerous new series but also after a lapse of 10 years you once again will be releasing a new Hifi music album.  Moreover, your first plug, An Understanding 《心照》,  is composed and written by you. To you this could be considered a new beginning, how do you see your transformation?

S: Yes, this new album came out 10 years after my last released album.  This time the new plug, An Understanding 《心照》, is totally composed and written by me. Actually wayback in 1993 when I debuted I already participated in writing some of the lyrics. But thereafter in the following years of releasing 13 more albums, my creativity was greatly reduced. Morever, in 2003 I totally immersed myself into filming series. So this time around releasing a new music album I am truly happy, very happy.  At first I needed some adjusting time as it had been so long since I last prepared for months on end to release a new album, and to test out the sound system. A bit strange but at the same time very familiar. All these years I had never given up on singing, after a lapse of ten years, now once again recording songs, this sense of satisfaction is very fulfilling.

B: An Understanding 《心照》 - Does this song have a special meaning to it? Why use this name?

S: An Understanding 《心照》What I want to express is very obvious. I had always wanted to pen a song about friendship because tacitness does not need public declaration ma. Friends are that way. Like what is said in the lyrics: Whethey in happy or unhappy, we all occasionally would think of our good friends.  Not necessary to meet often but once meet can revert to old times, drink and shoot the breeze.  We can laugh and cry together.  For me, that's what friends are. No need to meet often so long the friendship remains no matter how long you have not met each other, once meet the relationship is still as good.

B: You said this song is about relationship between you and your badminton friends, so what's the deepest impression of this group of athletes? What have you learned from your interactions with them?

S: When composing this song, what I recalled most was this group of badminton friends who interacted the most with me in the past few years.  In Hong Kong, I'm a member of a certain HK badminton club, the majority members are former national badminton players, very professional. Their personalities are very direct and straightforward, make me appreciate the value of friendship.  On court, they are professional atheletes. Even though I'm just an avid badminton novice they are still willing to play with me without reservation enabling me to gradually improve my badminton techniques playing against them.  Not only that, they also let me see how very precious it is that bonded by a common interest and ideals, in good times or bad, they mutually support each other.

B: For Mother: Weary《妈妈的倦》, this song has touced many listeners. You composed and wrote both the music and lyrics of the song which you dedicated to your late mom, is there anything you wish to share with the people who love this song?

S: Actually friends who have heard this For Mother: Weary song all said they like it, and also very moved.  I dedicated this song to my mother although she has left me 14 years already but all these years I had always wanted to do something for her. Before this I wrote a script for her but it has not been filmed. And now fortuituously I encountered this opportunity so I thought I would first write a song for mother.  Deanie Ip's "Weary" is my mother's favorite song so when I was writing the song I leaned on that direction.  I want to thru this song to give the listeners a kind of attitude, especially the children whose mothers have passed on.  Hope they know that so long their hearts remember their mothers, their mothers will always  live in their hearts.  This (song) can be considered to comfort them as well as comfort myself.  In this lifetime people will depart this world one day so long we always remember our loved ones in our hearts, we'll meet them again one day. Hope these children don't be sad anymore, be strong and brave to continue living, this way, mothers in heaven will be happy.

B: Besides melody and lyrics, you also directed three new mvs, heard you also plan to film a short film, and to become a director in the future?

S: It was my first time directing mvs, and also my first time to truly film something. All along I had this wish that not only am I an actor, singer but also can be a director.  I've 20 years of experience in the entertainment industry but mostly as actor and singer, all along I've been learning surreptituosly on how to shoot and edit stuff. Whenever I had time I would take my camera to take pictures, I hope to have this kind of feeling.  These 3 mvs for me are my test products but the outcome is not bad.  With this valuable experience I can now truly attempt to shoot stuff such as mini/short film, or movie or tv series so long there are people who believe in me,  haha...

B: Heard that you wish to organize a celebrity badminton team, truly love to play badminton that much?

S: My biggest interest is to play badminton. Without badminton my life would have been very different. (laugh aloud)  I'm a person who love sports because I feel that sports can clear my head and relax.  Sometimes very tired from shooting a series but no matter how tired I'll still find time to do some exercises or play badminton.  Because I feel that only sleep when tired cannot totally relax only appropriate exercises can enable a person to rejuvenate their spirit.

B: Everybody has his or her own standard of living,  what is your outlook on life?

S:  I'm a very casual person in real life. Don't have a particular plan on how I should live my life. My attitude is to use my heart to live each day well; so long live each day wholeheartedly only then can tomorrow will be better.  I believe God has plans for us and that He will guide us on our journeys, but of course under this premise we must work hard on everything we do, to put in our best efforts in all things.  We can't predict the future so pointless to guess, anyway if you do today well, tomorrow will know.

B: Your interests/hobbies are numerous and you have many friends too, so what kind of personality do you think you have?  In interpersonal interactions, what insights do you have?

S: (smile) I don't know how to describe myself but I think I can be said as someone who knows how to cherish, very forthright and don't like to fib,  or take advantage of people. I don't demand too much of people conversely I demand more out of myself. In the eyes of friends, I can be considered as someone who is relatively a more faithful friend.  If a friend is in need, I will do my best to help him/her.  I also truly cherish the people around me. Even my fellow colleagues are all friends I've known for 20 odd years. I like this kind of feeling, and also not easy to have.

B: From supporting actor to today's first line actor, this road has experienced much turbulences, how did you walk out of the valleys and forged on to success?

S: Everybody has experienced turbulences or setbacks. If you've fallen on life journey, it's no big deal because noody can experience a life of smooth sailing.  I've been in the industry for 20 years, every one of my steps has been and is well-grounded, no big surprises, no sudden accomplished, it's like climbing up the stairs step by step. This already made me feel fortunate.

B:Towards these experiences, what is your strongest feeling? From your experiences, can you give an advice to the younger generation?

S: Still the same, I hope that the young people be pratical, work hard and stay well grounded.  Don't overly daydream and not work hard.  Maybe put in effort but still don't have the expected return/harvest from it but nevertheless it is still better than not putting in any effort at all so young friends, don't be afraid to lose out. Must be humble and work hard. If has opportunity to learn new stuff, must do so because you don't know when you may need to use that knowledge someday.

B: What is your next job? Do you have new objectives or plans for the future?  What new work will come out this year?

S: In the future, continue to shoot tv series and release music album. Also plan to shoot a movie and perform in a stage play.
.
B:What do you want to say to your fans?

S: I'm very thankful to all fans who support me, if on weibo they are the "little piggies". Thank you very much for your support all these years. I hope that in the future I can bring to you more exciting stuff, regardless acting or album, or literary work or movie, I will work hard to do them well for you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment