Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Book - I was a salesman

我是一個營業員
I truly respect the sales occupation, but I just cannot condone salespeople referring themselves as sales-c (rhymes with sell-shit in Chinese.)  After graduating high school, my 1st job was at Long Man Publisher as sales assistant selling educational books.  Two years later, I switched job to Ling Gei Publisher as a salesman selling Chinese educational books.  But 3 months later, I took up a sales position at Tin Chemicals selling plastic products. 

Before entering the entertainment industry and excluding temporary jobs, my actual work resume consisted of only these three jobs, all of which happened to be sales and promotional related.  There are many requirements to being a salesperson such as: talkative, sociable, sharp, and an ability to think on one’s feet.   For me, what is most important should be self-confidence.  I once attended a seminar on how to become an outstanding salesperson.  The extensive content astonished me such as: verbal skill, market analyzes, selling and promotional techniques, eye expressions, tone of voice, even ways of shaking hands.  I never knew that such extensive knowledge and subtle skills are required of a salesperson.  My deepest impression of the seminar was on how to introduce one’s occupation.  The seminar lecturer said that self-introduction is of utmost importance in sales profession.  Right after stating their names, salespeople will then introduce their titles / job positions to their clients/customers; be it salesman, sales executive, sales rep., or sales assistant accordingly.  Of course, the titles have to befit their actual sales positions. 

The lecturer stressed that one’s self-confidence and clear verbalization will leave a deeper impression on people.  But is this assertion supported by statistics? I don’t know.  But for sure, one cannot go wrong with this kind of clear and dynamic self-introduction. 

Nowadays, I am no longer a salesman but I still retain an attachment to this field of occupation, more explicitly; respect.  In a society, there are people from all walks of life,   but I believe first and foremost, people should always do their best in their jobs, at the same time, be respectful of their jobs.   Maybe, it might take sometime before one can truly appreciate this respect for one’s job, but for others to respect your job, this step must be taken first.  

I’d like to take this opportunity to say this to my compatriots in sales: Next time when you introduce your job to people please do not pronounce “sales” as sale-c (sale-) Thank you!

source:  圖文pp 48-49
Translator: Tamaya



      

No comments:

Post a Comment