Thursday, December 22, 2011

One Pen Ma: Public Figures' Responsibility

Public Responsibility
公眾責任

In Hengdian, I became acquainted with Ms. Lang Qing, a program host in Zhejiang radio station FM93. She told me she has followed my work, for that I thank her. Earlier on she spent two hours (on her radio program) introducing different aspects of me, including praises I dare not accept. Thank you for her accolades; I'm truly moved.

During the program she mentioned the public responsibility of artists and media, which struck a chord in me! Artists and media personnels share one big common element, which is their having myriad windows to express individual feelings and personal opinions; and also because of their status and mass media access, their words and deeds can indeed influence the public more easily.

Spoken words, written words and series etc actually are disseminating information, sometimes direct; other times roundabout way. Among them, the imperceptible subtle influence being the most effective. Therefore,the attitude and viewpoint behind this information carries with it a very weighty responsibility.

In no way sermonizing or being a defender of traditional moral principles, but the concept of proper moral values should not change because of society evolution and technology advances. Perhaps, today an issue that seems insignificant like a grain of sand but when the grains of sand accumulated into a heavy mountain, it will be too late to remove!

Since Heaven has bestowed this ability, then it should be used with proper care. Even though we are not gods, but "Moral is not alone, it will have neighbors". [德不孤,必有邻] Don't look down on a character, word, or a phrase. Progress with time, at the same time must also walk alongside with morals.

4 comments:

  1. You don't update 'one pen ma' for a long time. Are u so busy? I trully like this column and appreciate Steven' talent very much .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous: I was just plain lazy because I thought nobody cares to read his One Pen Ma articles. I will translate some of them asap. Thanks for letting me know with your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the translation too. His incites can be used in life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Readers might just read and go without having a comment.

    Thanks! I am reading.

    After all these times, i just found out there are so many other 'sub folder'. I will def read them all. Its like i have many books recovered.

    ReplyDelete