Monday, January 2, 2012

Short-sightedness, view the world!

I am short-sighted.  So normally I wear contact lens, however, when I get home and have no need to venture out later, I will take off my contacts and wear my traditional, plastic, black-frame spectacles. Many friends have urged me to do lasik surgery! But I remained unmoved. It’s not that I don’t trust today’s technology but that my heart just isn’t in it. The body, hair, and skin are all from the parents. Apart from illness that requires unavoidable surgery, I truly don’t want anything to change any part of my body.

Maybe it is my obstinacy! But, if it is not necessary why the superfluous act?

For instance, the recent plastic surgery issue, the botox injection to slim the face, or the injection of such and such ABCD for boobs enlargement. Spent money and time, suffered physical pain, all in exchange for an unknown outcome that may or may not be ideal. I am not merging lasik and plastic surgery into one topic, but rather I am talking about this need to pursue a flawless perfection.

Who does not have a deficiency/flaw? From interior to exterior, from the heart to the spirit, I believe every person, no matter what, possesses a different layer or form of deficiency. Also, whether the impact of the deficiency is of the serious or presentation nature. However, whether the deficiency is acceptable or not is totally dependable on personal outlook. If single eyelids are considered a flaw then I love this flaw! If not physically buff then I will engage in weight lifting! If lacking in knowledge is considered a deficiency then I will take up studying!

All these deficiencies if so desired can be changed or be accepted. Conversely, if technology can improve some bodily defects, then of course, that is a good thing. But what I cannot condone are the changes done in pursuit of so-called ‘beauty’.

Admittedly, I was quite miffed when writing this article; please don’t be offended, it was just a fleeting expression of thought, that’s all!

By the way, almost forgot to mention to you all that there is another reason why I refuse to do lasik. I like that feel of viewing the world without glasses. That blurriness, so unclear can be at times be even clearer than with glasses on.


pp 52-53

No comments:

Post a Comment