Friday, May 10, 2013

Weibo May - why dedicate song to late mother?

 今天 02:01 Just received a friend's text asking:
"How come you dedicated a song to your late mom on Mother's Day? Isn't it inappropriate?"

Eh, what I want to say is this; my mom has passed away for 14 years, so for these 14 years I did not celebrate Mother's Day. But, every year on Mother's Day I would look at her photo and say "Happy Mother's Day!"  

Actually, even though on Mother's Day without mom, to me it is still a Mother's Day!  For each individual, how to celebrate and how to express?  To each their own ba! Friend, do you understand? There are lots of people without mothers, so allow me to express my feeling for my mom in my own way, ok?  Thank you! Happy Mother's Day!




TN: Personally, don't think Steven's song dedication is inappropriate at all. Steven's right, people should be allowed to celebrate Mother's Day they way they see fit.  Personally, I think Steven's dedication of song to his late mother as tribute and as remembrance is a most meaningful gesture of his 'gone but not forgotten' affirmation of his love for her - a son's love that is imbued with a promise that he and his mother will meet again someday in their Heavenly Father's home.  

2 comments:

  1. Aiye...what's with people nowadays? Why do they have to ask such lame questions? What business is it of theirs if Steven chooses to dedicate a song to his late mother on Mother's Day? (By the way, I don't get why this would be considered "inappropriate"...perhaps I'm missing something here??).

    Anyway...as Steven said, everyone has their own way of expressing their feelings for their relatives...so whoever it is that asked, please just leave Steven alone! Geez!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the thinking is similar to "send me no flowers when I'm dead" - since his mother can't hear his song anyway so why dedicate something she can't appreciate anyway? 多此一舉

      Or maybe since the day is a joyous celebration of mother's love all over the world, why sing a melancholy song that evokes sadness, pain and grief not to mention death, inadvertently spoiling the festive mood of a celebration? (just guessing)

      If the person is a close and good friend (I think he/she is) -- he/she maybe just giving Steven a different pov on his song -- making him aware of how other people (HK people are superstitious) may view his song.

      If the person is just being insensitive -- then he/she maybe implying that Steven is using his song dedication to his mom as a publicity stunt to gain sympathy.

      I hope he/she is just a concern, good friend.

      Delete