Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Steven Ma Remembering mother, Teary-Eyed at concert

sources:
Mingpao 7-16-2013 馬浚偉憶亡母眼濕濕
singpao 7-16-2013  音樂分享會 掀動觀眾情緒
wenweipo 7-16-2013 開音樂分享會傳遞正能量 馬浚偉克服死穴憶忘母
videos: tudou link


Earlier when filming the TVB new series, Property Protector, Steven’s acting partner accidentally hit his (Steven's) nose and eye with a prop gun causing him to almost become a one-eyed person, and had his nose fractured and swollen so bad that even sneezing could impede his recovery progress. Steven was once worried that he might not be able to sing, thus affecting his concert.  Because Steven was also busy filming his resting time was lacking but on stage he was full of life and vitality, sang well and danced well.

Regardless in the sharing segment or singing fast songs segment, he successfully engaged and stirred the audience’s emotion, especially during the sharing session whereby sounds of tissues being used could be heard from time to time in the auditorium, so moved by Steven’s true feelings the audience tear up.  His stage presence and his ability to hold the stage greatly impressed the audience, bringing it home to them that Steven is not only an actor but that he actually debuted as a singer.  Even Catherine Tsang with her rigorous high standards and frugal praises went backstage after the show to praise Steven for his performance and his great improvement in singing, making the latter relieved.

Actually in the two consecutive night concert, Steven displayed both the emotional side and the sunny side of himself.  He first shared his vulnerable side through his songs in his sharing session. He recalled the day his mother passed away.  He was six years old when his mother was first diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer, and thereafter he accompanied his mother in her battle against cancer for twenty odd years.  (tn: 22 years)  She was about 40 something (tn: 48 years) when she passed away; so very young. Steven was so inconsolable at her passing that he had depression.  He said describing his late mother’s story was his Achilles heel.  Even now in his sharing, Steven looked teary-eyed.   He said: “Both while driving to the hospital and later sitting inside a taxi after my mom passed away, in different vehicles, from different radio stations, they all played this song sang by Gigi Leung, “Today”.   Steven then proceeded to sing “Today”.  In the past Steven found it difficult to control his emotion singing Today but this time he was able to restrain it, but still could see his eyes bright with unshed tears.

Today

After completing "Today", Steven went on to sing his late mother's favorite song, Deanie Ip's  (葉德嫻) "Weary" (倦).


Weary

When done singing “Weary” Steven continued his mother’s story.  He said: “Now that I’m done singing Deanie Ip’s "Weary" I want to share some more with everybody this one experience of my mother's passing.  Because my mother loved this song, even at the terminal phase of her cancer when she had lost both her senses of taste and hearing, she still loved to turn on the cassette tape player to listen to  “Weary”,so recently I composed this song dedicated to her:  “For Mother,  Weary”《給媽媽的『倦』》.  Actually what made me feel so guilty conscience strickened that I sank into deep depression was that I was the one who signed the consent paper for my mother’s surgery whereby an aperture would be surgically made in her stomach so that a feeding tube bringing nourishment could be inserted through it into her stomach to feed her. At the time the doctor said if nothing was done she would survive at most two weeks. At the time my mother did not want to do it, she even said to me that I was pushing her to die.  But we all did not want her to leave and so I made the decision. Even though the surgery was successful she caught post-surgery infection and in less than a day she left me. "

(tn: the following paragraph is confusing to me cos the report from Singpao differs from wenweipo. Was this Steven's comment to the reporter (Wenweipo) or did he say it to the audience? (singpao)

Steven had to frequently take deep breaths to temper his emotions.  The sound of tissues being used could be heard  throughout the auditorium. Steven continued: “Frankly whenever I came to this part I honestly could not hold my tears but I don’t want to cry because I still have to sing, so don’t want to have my vocal affected.  So I’m going to stop myself right here from continuing. I don’t even dare to look down stage at where my father and my sisters sit because I may not be able to resist my tears.  But I’m very grateful that today before you all I could share my mother’s story; that I can face it with courage. 

"I’m dismay every time I read/heard about children actually killed their parents over money, or be rebellious or troublesome to their parents.   Not everybody has the opportunity to be filial to their parents.  I hope this concert can appeal to everybody to cherish your family, to be filial to your parents; that’s one reason why I held this ‘music sharing’ concert.  Also, I hope everybody can absorb more positive energy from this sharing, and not be so negative.  For that I chose these more inspiring songs,  《前程錦繡》、《漫步人生路》、《念親恩》、《摘星》. I feel that we should radiate more positive energy so that there will be more harmony among people.

《漫步人生路》

As to elicited Catherine Tsang's praise, Steven said: "Very happy, because for a year I continuously practised my singing in secret. Moreover, the past few days I made time to rehearse diligently. Being able to elicite mentor's approval proved that my efforts were not wasted.  After this concert, turn out all these years I had never given up on music, and even now still love it. So these days besides filming series, I will put more time into music, whether in producing album or music related area."   

Aside, the first batch of his new album 《Cherish》has sold out and he is presently preparing to produce the 2nd batch.  Guess his next concert is just around the corner.


****************************************************************************

The opening song-Lucky to have met you


The closing song - Understanding

*******************************************************




related links: sm baidu threadtudou video cache ; youtube cache
jaynestarsmacao daily 7/15/2013 21:45


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks you so so much for this translation!!!!!
    And here you are: The song: 似是水中花, with Steven's dancing in "Step". Just finished it.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/2yeb6k3e84jiwe9/%5BVietsub-Kara%5D_%E4%BC%BC%E6%98%AF%E6%B0%B4%E4%B8%AD%E8%8A%B1_-_Nh%C6%B0_%C4%91o%C3%A1_hoa_trong_n%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Bc_(1993).avi
    (Link download - host: Mediafire)

    ReplyDelete