"Auspicious Dishes" ＜家家行運菜＞第2集: Steven Ma demostrates a Ma family's CNY special dishe - Golden Scallops (一馬當先黃金帶子)
S: I usually cook golden prawns for the CNY but prawn dishes are common so this time will cook golden scallops instead. Ingredients: fresh scallops, cooked salted egg yorks, butter/magarine, broccoli, starch, flour + egg for batter
1. Heat wok
2. Put some corn starch (Steven means on the scallops but Grace puts starch into the wok instead. haha)
Use fingers for even coating. Do it gently cos' scallops break easy. These scallops have been previously blanched in hot water so they are about 60-70% cooked already.
3. Add the batter onto the scallops - (egg + flour + water (?) Did not say how batter is made)
4. Deep fry each scallop briefly on medium fire until golden.
5. Blend butter and salted egg york on warm wok. Butter's preferred cos' more fragrant than cooking oil.
6: Add scallops and coat each evenly.
And those dishes on the table? --- All done by Steven himself.
Tidbits on Steven's family CNY traditional food/dishes
When young, Steven's late mother made prawn crackers right after the clock struck midnight into the new year. Since prawn chips expand (fa dai) when heated in hot oil so will wealth expand.
Auspicious dishes on the table pre-cooked by Steven.
1) Long Jing tea smoked chicken - can't make this dish at home -- (tn: cos' no smoke cooker?) any tea will do.
2) Braised pork knuckles with fatt choi (black seaweed) Steven learned to cook this dish from a master chef. meat, veggie, seaweed, rock suger, star anise, ginger, scallion
related material: Steven's Golden Prawns recipe ; weibo link 2011-6-20 13:58
(link: symbolisms of lucky food/dishes for Chinese New Year)