Friday, September 17, 2010

The Artist I Want to Commend!

steven ma yahoo blog

我要表揚的演員
2009-02-24 16:46
Artistes, truly not easy to be! The ups and downs? B-listed stars? Tabloid fodders? Or efforts reaping no returns? Or perhaps, to be unwittingly submerged under a sea of people on this visual & aural journey, leaving behind only past efforts, or perhaps even nothing to show of their existence.

I disagree.

A person, if he/she has put into the efforts and did his/her best, the efforts will be noticed.

I remember one night while filming Steps, the whole shoot was done in Hei Yong Yong office set. The set had a reception area, which one must pass through to get to the work area. Because of the camera and shooting angles and technology purposes, that day we practically did the whole shot inside office area. And so the whole shooting process went fast and smoothly. Therefore, we all were very happy at doing good work simultaneously making good time.

But then, one of us cast noticed there was one such actress seated all the while in the reception area. Strange? That site was not included in the shooting, so why was there someone sitting there the whole time? At first I thought she was an hourly actress, and walked over to commend her professionalism for dutifully keeping her position although she knew she would not be in the scene. Not even a word of complaint or inquiry on her situation. That was very professional indeed! But when I saw her face, only then did I realize that she was one of our company managed artistes…my words left me right there and then. Wayne and I discussed with the director to shoot the last two scenes whereby Wayne and I would get off from the elevator to go by the reception area into the office. The director understood our request and was more than happy to oblige!

Also, when filming TGC2, she acted as one of the villagers. I noticed that she was always at the set on time, and that she acted out her character dutifully, even when there was no dialogue. Recently while filming SOL, although she had no dialogue scenes with me, she seriously discussed an acting problem with me, which I was happy to answer. She listened, then very politely thanked me, and left. Frankly, I don’t know her well but I appreciate this kind of people!

Don’t look for benefits/rewards? Such greatness? Put in another way, if look for returns/repayments, then should ask how much have I put in myself? Stuff that is too easily accomplished may not always be a good thing. A clear conscience does not always result in deserved harvest. But the efforts made are often more precious/valuable than those that fell from heaven. Which field of work? Doesn’t matter, they are all the same, anyway! If efforts already put in, then don’t ask! If efforts were never expended; even more so, no right to ask!

People do, heaven sees, but more than that, I believe some people also see! Chan Ga-Lou, pour oil! Ga yao! 人在做,天在看!但我更信,有人會看!

********************************
AF#1017

Tamaya: btw, Steven has updated his blog, the topic is 我要表揚的演員 his compliment on an unknown, bit actress for her dedication. It's a lengthy post, pix included. 

The gist of it: He is praising an unknown, bit actress who is a tvb managed actress. He first noticed her when filming Steps inside the Hei Yong Yong co. set. Even thought she wasn't in the actual filming, she kept her position as the receptionist throughout the whole lengthy shooting. At first, Steven thought she was just an hourly actress, but found out that she was actually a tvb managed actress. He was impressed by her dedication. Together with Wayne, they persuaded the director to have their characters passed through the reception area to get to their respective office for the last 2 scenes. The latter was happy to oblige. 

Then in TGC2, she was one of the villagers, and was always on time for work, and even if she did not have a dialogue part in the scenes, she was committed to her character. And in SOL, although she had no scenes with Steven, one night she especially approached him for advice on a scene of hers. Steven was happy to oblige. Steven says he doesn't know her well, but he appreciates this kind of dedicated people.  p/s I don't remember or recognize her at all.

Akazukin: tamaya, I'm interested on what's your opinion about this girl.

Tamaya: 
After a second reading, this is my revised opinion on her. 
Firstly, she is one lucky lady to be noticed by Steven. 
From just reading Steven's entry, she might well be what Steven said, professional and dedicated to her work. But then again, she might just being clueless (therefore passive) of what to do on that day, (neglected as she was by everybody). What else could she do since she was presumably paid to be on call the whole day. Secondly, what struck me most is that Steven was nice enough to even notice her, let alone made an effort to especially include her in the shoot. What a guy! But I do have some questions concerning her 'dedication' to work.

Questions: Steven said she did not complaint nor made a fuss but did she even ask the director if it was necessary for her to sit behind the reception desk the whole day? If not necessary, did she ask if her time could be better used elsewhere? Seems to me her presence was a waste of human resources, energy and time. But then I heard filming a show requires a lot of waiting around for the thespians on call, even the leads. 

But I suspect her needing Steven's advice on an acting problem is a just a way of getting his attention. But I do understand the importance of networking, especially in the entertainment world, so no problem with her initiating the contact. And I bet Steven is not unaware of his 'usefulness' to budding starlets. So there you go; my humble opinion. That being said, why did Steven pick her to commend? Because I'm sure, there are many more bit thespians just like her who are just if not more dedicated and hardworking. Hmm, curiouser and curiouser!

Akazukin: I have exactly the same thoughts with what you wrote, only that I could not have said it better myself. 
Steven's kindness is definitely admirable, his caringness to his coworkers is also very admirable, but 害人之心不可有,防人之心不可無. Not saying that our "second" opinion would definitely be the truth, but there is definitely still such a possibility to guard against. After all, this is the entertainment world, one shouldn't trust one too easily. 
"did she even ask the director if it was necessary for her to sit behind the reception desk the whole day? If not necessary, did she ask if her time could be better used elsewhere? Seems to me her presence was a waste of human resources, energy and time. But then I heard filming a show requires a lot of waiting around for the thespians on call, even the leads."
Having the habit of spotting exam questions, I guess we both do have high appreciation for efficiency.  clapclap 
....Especially since she seems to be smart and proactive enough to ask acting tips from Steven.
Like you, I believe there are a lot of thespians who are being very dedicated and hardworking, and not only that, but also talented enough, yet they are not recognised by TVB. My mind came to think of Cheung Mei Ni who acted as Ying Yuet in SITS. That girl graduated at the same year as Tavia and Raymond, and she has better results than them during their acting class. Her talents were wasted by TVB until SITS. But it is not surprising seeing how long and hard Tavia have to work to get to the status she has today, while people of pageant background gets an easier shortcut path. I'm digressing... perhaps due to my lack of sleep these days. 
I also don't have any recollection of her in Steps or in any series. I think I missed your initial opinion before your revision.
Tamaya: My initial reaction upon reading the entry was good for her, and that she must be one smart cookie to have gotten Steven's attention, and left it at that. 

But have now replaced "smart cookie" with 'one lucky lady' during my translation process. Also have replaced 'smartness' with 'clueless' because I didn't see any smartness on her part. She sat there doing nothing? For how long? Why not spent that doing-nothing time to observe the ongoing filming, if not to absorb and learn something, at least to pass the time? Her passiveness and dutiful obedience bothered me...shows lack of initiative. That Steven noticed her is nothing of her doing or smartness, it's more because of who Steven is, an observant and empathetic person, therefore she was very lucky that by doing nothing she got noticed. But she was quick to latch onto Steven's goodwill and kind heart - but it's understandable that she would want to hit the iron while it's still hot.

Strawberry67: I totally agree with you on this. If she's good in acting, tvb would have given her better roles by now but i don't recall seeing her in any big roles. She's just lucky to be noticed by Steven.

Akazukin: I can't help but to find an inconsistency between her first "passive cluelessness" and her second "quick and proactive" approach to ask acting tips from him. In any case, I agree with you that it requires luck and Steven's observant and kind-hearted personality. 

Tamaya: Going out on a limb and being very batgwa: 
I guess once she got over her initial, newbie passive cluelessness, she was greatly encouraged by Steven's notice of her and therefore quick to take advantage of Steven's approachability and caring nature. What novice wouldn't when the handsome male lead showered such attention on oneself. Thus her quick (though not so quick, it was in Sol that she approached him) and proactive (translating the urge for attention to action?) pretext of wanting to redirect and regain Steven's attention on herself again. 

Akazukin: What I mean is, she may not be as clueless as she seemed, just that she has found the opportunity yet at that moment, and one way, is to be different.

I maybe over-suspicious as I am very sensitive and suspicious (yeah, hard not to if you have seen a lot of betrayal/fakeness in life). I guess I would leave it at that since I don't know the real person. Not saying that she is definitely such a person but one should have more precaution. 

As for her way of "dedication" in work, like you, I can't fully agree with the way she did it too.


我要表揚的演員 2009年2月24日下午4:46

藝人,真的不好當!
高低起跌?半红不黑?是非纏身?又或是盡己任,卻沒回報?更怎者,在這聲色旅途上,不經不覺地被人海淹沒,只留下付出過的努力,又或是,好像沒存在過!
我否定。
一個人,只要用過心,盡過力,肯定,會有人看到!
記得在拍"舞動全城"的時侯,有一個晚上,整晚的廠戲都是拍"喜洋洋"辦公室的戲,那個辦公室,有接待處,也必須先經接待處,才能步進工作間。
由於拍攝角度和技術性問題,那天我們幾乎全都直接由辦公室內開鏡,也因為這樣,拍攝進度很快,也很順利,結果,大伙兒都很偷快,能拍到好戲又能早點收工,該是不亦樂乎吧!
但,我們一幫演員突然發現,有一個演員一直坐在reception裡,奇怪?明明沒拍到那邊的場境,怎麼會有人一直坐在那兒?我本來還以為是臨時演 員,正想過去稱讚一下她的專業,明知道拍不到她還一直守著她的位置,整個拍攝過程,就連一個埋怨,一個提問都沒有,那很專業呵!結果看到她的臉,我才知道 她其實是我們公司的合約演員......那時候,我沒話說了!我和祥仔跟導演商量,剩下的兩場戲,就讓我們從電梯經過reception再進 office,導演完全了解和體諒,所以很窩心的讓我們做了!
又一次,拍"秀才"的時候,她是演戲裡其中一個村民。我,每一次,都看到她很準時進廠,而且,那怕是一句對白都沒有,她,就是安守本份。
最近,我拍的"占星情緣",儘管她跟我沒對手戲,卻在某一個晚上,她認真且嚴肅地向我提出了一個演戲分析上的問題,我當然樂於回答,她聽罷,很禮貌地說句謝謝,就走了。
坦白說,我跟她完全不熟,但,我就是欣賞這種人!
不問收獲?太偉大了吧!不如說,要有回報?請先問自己付出了多少?得來太易不是好事,問心無愧也不等於能收成正果,但,付出過,總比擁有天掉下來的來得珍貴!
哪一個行業?沒關係,反正都一樣!付出了,就別問!沒付出的,更沒資格問!
人在做,天在看!但我更信,有人會看!
陳嘉露,加油!

No comments:

Post a Comment