Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Book - Loh Fung

Loh Fung (老馮)
Because of music album promotional work, I once lived in Taiwan. Taiwan’s land is big and its population, huge; and it has a plethora of TV stations, radio stations and print media to boot. From Taipei to Kaoshiung, I worked nonstop in all big and small promotional activities. Thus, the trip turned into a half year stay in Taiwan. During this half year period I made many friends, learned the Taiwanese way of life, and experienced Taiwan’s local customs and practices. And of course, I learned to speak Mandarin.

What is the difference between Taiwan Mandarin and China Mandarin? Not going to go into it. But during that period I learned one particular phrase, a phrase that was often heard within the entertainment circle.

“Give you convenience (方便fang bian), you treat it casually.” (隨便sui bian) (給你方便﹐你當隨便) This phrase is very interesting. Be it uttered in Cantonese or in Mandarin, it is very flavorful. Its flavor stems from its plain and simple words and also, its analogy is regularly seen in everyday living. If requiring me to further elaborate on this phrase, then it is the Cantonese counterpart expression, “Loh Fung” (老馮) ba!

In my everyday life, “Loh Fung” did indeed appear frequently. As an example: I live in a resident complex that has tight security. As such, unregistered vehicles are not permitted entry. Because of my work, I often got picked by different vehicles at the building. The building supervisor knew of this transport arrangement hence grudgingly permitted the vehicles to enter the parking lot. By and by, this admission became a practice.

I recalled once, a new colleague drove his car to pick me up, and it just happened that the building supervisor at duty was a new employee. Both were strangers to each other, and neither had had previous ‘experiences’. The supervisor duly followed the proper procedures, and had my new colleague wait for me outside the building.

When I got downstairs, the supervisor politely reminded me that unregistered vehicles were not allowed entry, only then did I realize yeah that’s right! The previous practice was actually against the building rules. It was actually a convenience given me by other people but I had unduly taken it for granted! Feeling bad, I apologized to the supervisor. When I got into the car I told my colleague to wait for me outside at the building entrance from now on.

Truly, many of those little conveniences (方便) in everyday life are granted us by other people. If these conveniences (方便) are used casually as we please, (隨便) they may cause inconveniences (不方便) to other people. Henceforth, I learn not to casually (隨便) take other people’s conveniences 方便, even more so, not to casually (隨便) turn these favors/conveniences 方便into entitlements. (隨便).

source: 圖文 pp 40-41
真的﹐原來生活上很多小方便﹐都是別人給予的。尚若將這種方便當成隨便﹐就會為人家帶來不方便。之後﹑我學會了不要隨便拿人家的方便﹐更不要把人家給予的方便﹐隨便當作隨便。

No comments:

Post a Comment