Friday, October 1, 2010

Book - Bumbleebee

Steven has mentioned several times that Bumblebee of Transformers is his idol. He even wrote an essay on him. The essay shows the childlike side of Steven, which I find totally endearing.

Posted Image
source: Steven weibo
His Bumblebee mentions on his weibo

Bumblebee
I really like Bumblebee in the Transformers. I like his look, all yellow; sometimes as a giant robot and sometimes as a superhot and superfast sports car. So cool!

But what I like most is his personality. In the movie, there’s this one line, “The driver doesn’t pick the car; the car picks the driver.” Wah, so cool! This is Bumblebee’s personality.

I recall there is this scene whereby the female lead sitting inside the transformed Bumblebee battered sports car says to the male lead, “since the car can transform into anything, why picked this crap of a sports car?” Even before she finishes her sentence, Bumblebee promptly skids, opens the door, and boots them both out of the car, then makes a U-turn and drives off. People thought he is been petty, cannot take criticism, that is why it takes off. Who would have guessed, he would rev around, transform himself into a most high tech super sports car, and driving at top speed, returns to the drop-off place, flings open its doors and let them both in.

Another scene, to protect the male and female leads, a group of Autobots (the good transformers) go into a skirmish with a shadowy, secret government sector known as Section 7 that is in charge of studying unidentified and mysterious space objects. Given their prohibition to harm any earthlings, this Bumblebee unexpectedly opens his petrol outlet, and spurts the petrol (or diesel) at the Section 7’s leader to express displeasure. When I saw this scene, I doubled over with laughter. Because Bumbleebee’s petrol outlet just happens to be positioned in the same spot as the location from where human being urinate!

Just before the movie ends, Bumblebee while fighting for justice sadly broke a leg; the male and female leads stick by ‘him’ through thick and thin. Finally, they defeated the bad people. After that, Bumbleebee, on his own volition, requests to stay with the male and female leads as so to protect them and safeguard earth.

A movie making the robots so human like; truly very interesting! What’s more interesting is that I can totally relate to Bumbleebee; it’s like I see in him a lot of my own shadows: his wanting to act cool, wanting to save face, like to fool around and his slightly mischievous personality; truly quite similar to mine!

Currently, in my house, there are many Bumbleebees that can talk, move and play music. Even have ‘his’ wallpapers in my computer and cell phone. Haha! because of this movie, I got another ‘idol’!

But, friends, don’t worry, no matter how angry or displeased I may be, I guarantee I would never boot you out of my car, or pee on you. Heehee!

source: 图文并谬 pp 124-125
Translator: Tamaya

No comments:

Post a Comment