Sunday, October 24, 2010

I Don’t Bite – Ma Chun Wai

I Don’t Bite – Ma Chun Wai
我不咬人 马浚伟
Ming Pao Weekly October 2005
Translator: Tamaya


The initial concept was: Steven wanted to use a sled dog in his photo shoot as an analogy to himself; that what is perceived as aggressive in nature is actually docile and dependable. But no sled dog could be found, and so a golden retriever was used in its stead. Not too bad. Anyway, a golden retriever was Steven’s second choice. It never bites, and it aptly fits the bill.

On July 1st of this year, he signed a management contract with TVB, thereby, symbolically returning to the fold; back to the hotbed of rumors. Of interest to people would be his interactions with the divas (fa-dans), with whom he has had scandals with in the past.

“I will be a most polite Ma Chun Wai.”

When reporters requested snapshots of him and Sonija together, he politely declined. In the end, Virginia Lok had to step in to ease the tension. Later, he was reported as being ‘stuck onto the top brass’.

“I don’t bite, but it doesn’t mean others won’t.”

After the interview, Steven would have his head shaved off in preparation for a Qing TV series. (LoW) Reality dictates that be you a gentle golden retriever or a fierce looking sled dog, and notwithstanding your unwillingness to have your hair sheared off, at your master’s command, how would you not obey? Therefore, the theme for this photo shoot of man and dog is aptly entitled ‘Loyalty’.

Back to the Hotbed of Rumors.
Upon his return to TVB, even before any of his series was aired, he was already inundated with new and old rumors, alike. While attending a Mid-Autumn festival event, he was even asked for his thoughts and reactions to the rumors alleging Sonija of relieving herself casually on the filming grounds. Returning to the hotbed of rumors, the first hurdle faced was the eloquence test. “From a regular person’s perspective, I would say this: “It’s wrong to covertly snap pictures of any actress doing it.” (Note: In the same interview, Steven blithely dismissed the rumor as baseless.) He answered with poise and discretion. The second hurdle faced was the expression test. For instance, always avoid being photographed wearing a ‘fierce’ countenance or having lips curved suspiciously in disdain. Still, what finally hit the tabloids were: ‘mutually transparent’, ‘right turn vs left turn’. Clearly, much work is needed to pass this hurdle.

“The reporters wanted to snap Sonija and my pictures together; I found that too contrived, so I declined. To break the awkward moment, Ms. Lok suggested: “Let’s all do a group photo,” and propelled us to the center. Subsequently, what ran in the tabloids was that I clung tenaciously onto Ms. Lok; holding tightly onto a good thing. To this end, the pictures were used as proofs to speciously support their stories. I felt detached.”

These kind of tell-a- tale pictures reports were but child's play; for in the past, Steven was dubbed a rumor spirit.(非精) His most titillating scandal involved Sonija. The man said they dated for three months; the woman fiercely denied: “I’m the kind of person who will admit to it if it was so.” Ultimately, Steven ended up being accused of propagating rumors for self-publicity. And then there was Ada Choi, on whom he allegedly had a crush on. (see video & footnote1: Steven’s takes.)

“…These past years, I have become more wary with engaging my emotions.”

Won’t Fight Tooth and Nail for Vindication
As to the Sonija scandal: one admitted to it, one refuted it; an impasse. He blames it on his Chiu Chow male’s disposition; in situations where the man had to take the fall, he would voluntarily suck it up and keep his silence.

“Every man should behave this way. There are many situations where a man finds it inexpedient to explain. I would choose not to explain. If I had to fight tooth and nail for vindication, I would much rather not do it. So what if I’m finally vindicated, people would still look down at me, as it is but a hollow victory if a man had stoop to such tactics.

“I believe in this saying: Heaven knows, earth knows, you know and I know. I would not squabble back and forth. The more you explain, the more people will get suspicious. Anyway, all things will come to pass. Time will tell the truth."(Note: Amen to that, esp. on this kind of he says, she says scenarios. I applaud them both for burying the hatchet to collaborate professionally in LOW & The Chinese Hamlet. Bravo! Now if only the media would let them be. )

Take the fall for the women, as well as, for the men. Not long after signing Frankie Fan as his manager, rumors abound of their alleged gay relationship. That too, he believes actualities will prevail over explanation.

“Wrote he bought me a car, a flat, and provided for me; all these published without a shred of evidence. These rumors persisted until I left his company. And then, the rumors stopped. At the time when the rumors were rampant; should I then drag out a female to repudiate? Furious, sure; but I’d no interest to do that.”

Heavy Eye Bags Ridiculed, Unhappy
When his July 1st TVB management contract came into effect, Steven went to work on a Qing series, Safe Guards for three months straight. All’s well and quiet; so far no rumors, yet.

“My present attitude is that everyone is my colleague; a mature artiste. I try not to think too much. I will not bring along my private feelings into the production arena. This should also help my performance.

“After work, I won't have much contact with entertainment. When I have the time, I will play badminton with Evergreen Mak (麥長青) , Gwok Fung(郭鋒,) or Ho Kai Nam (何啟南). Right now, they are my closest friends. I’m comfortable with them....

“The past two years proved that I can live a rumor free, quiet lifestyle. “Do not involve me,” these four words are my sincere plea.

Steven grew up amidst negative publicity. When he first started in the industry, his then record company used this slogan, “He’s not Hok Yau; he’s not Lai Ming” to promote him. For that, he suffered the ire of Leon’s fans.

“The bags under my eyes are naturally obvious. During one photo shoot, under the bright lightings, the bags were extremely conspicuous. At that time, because I was still being promoted as “Lai Ming” look-alike, plus the reporter didn’t like me; so beneath the photo, he wrote this caption: “Even with such a light workload at present, Ma Chun Wai’s dark eye circles are already so obvious, what if his workload were to increase in the future, how could he show his face to the public?” I was unhappy to read that.

“I had to shave my head for DOMD, and for me that was already a big sacrifice. Several newspapers ran this “clad in a dragon robe, but didn’t look like a crown prince. How to compete with Andy Lau?” TVB assigned me the work. It’s not my fault. Obviously, situations that are outside our control, we’ll still get blamed and criticized for them. Anyway, there’s no point getting upset over it.”

Threatened while Filming in China
In 2003, Steven finished shooting “Better Halves”; in 2004 his contract with Frankie Fan expired. He took this opportunity to venture outside on his own. Without an agent, he took the reins of his own career.

“The best part is that there’s no cut for management fees. 100% of the earnings went straight into my own pocket. Last year, my one year’s earnings are equivalent to three years’ worth. Truly, the management fees can be very hefty.”

Out on his own, he experienced for the first time of being owed money, and had to personally call up those debtors. “The fact was they should pay up, but turnaround, I had to beg them to pay up. It’s like I was being heartless. Decent people are often bullied while the fierce ones are feared.”

Even debt collecting is chalked up to new experience; Steven really had his eyes opened. And then there was the incident in Guangzhou, where he was threatened and was almost assaulted. (Note: translation of this incident skipped. 「这是我入行以来遇过最荒谬的事,原本是拍片,到了的士高场地,才知拉起横额,变成了演唱会,一百二十元一张门票。他们把我和女助手锁在卡拉OK房,一个男人站在我旁边,凶神恶煞的,问我可不可以上台唱几首歌,我说不唱,他好像想打我,我打电话向电影公司老板求救,才能脱险。结果报了公安,接 那十天,有两个公安跟 我出入。」 Read previous translated article.)

Album Release: Too Time-Consuming.
Outside, trials and tribulations abound; but, more importantly, freedom beckons. February, this year, TVB sought him out to sign a management contract. After pondering for five months, he decided to sign up.

“Ultimately, freelancing is not for the long run. People recognize me because of TVB series, more so than my albums. Even though, I started out as a singer, but I should know my own designation. People relate me to acting, not to singing-maybe to just singing some theme songs here and there, that’s all. Forgot that I started my entertainment profession as a singer. Which is why, in the end, I had to sign up with TVB, only then can I maintain my status.” (Note: A sense of helplessness & resignation?)

Few years back, Steven severed his 10-year work relationship with Frankie; the rumors were that the parting of ways was due to the break up of their ‘relationship’. He says it was actually due to differences in opinions.

“He wanted me to concentrate on my singing; ; whereas, I preferred performing in TVB series. A dilemma divided us. During that period, I had to decline several series because I was working on new albums. Actually, I had really wanted to accept them. In the former company, the album sales weren’t that ideal, anyway. To have to decline series for albums just wasn’t worth it. I preferred using the album production time to act in TVB series. Moreover, when the recording was done, there’s still lots of outside work to do. They also overpriced my fees. Many potential jobs fell through because the initial asking fees were set too high. Actually, I felt the fees needn’t be so high. They would start off with an exorbitant number, and then slowly came down on it, but by then many people were already frightened off.”

Now in TVB, he believes the company will not set exorbitant fees; and at month end, he need no longer have to chase after debtors to collect his fees. Zhen Jie (TVB executive) reassured him: “Now, you don’t have to worry la. We’ve a team of lawyers here; nobody would dare to repudiate a debt.” Steven reaffirms, with TVB he feels relieved and reassured, therefore, loyal; so TVB has gotten itself another golden retriever.

Panic Attacks
Six years ago, Steven was diagnosed with having panic attacks. Six years ago Steven was inflicted with an anxiety disorder. Because of his mother’s nasopharyngeal cancer, Steven took care of her for twenty-two years. Even during filming he constantly worried about her and was in and out of hospital to visit her, consequently because of accumulated pressure, he became inflicted with a mood disorder.

“No reason whatsover. Suddenly the heart beats wildly. Once almost fainted, conscious but couldn’t draw in breath."

Whenever the attack happened, the heart rate accelerated to150 - 160 beats. (Normal range is 60-100 beats/min). He carried his medicine with him at all times for unexpected attacks.

"Doctor says there’s no cure for this condition. It will stay with me for the rest of my life.”

Many incidents will also follow us for the rest of our lives. Like the slogan from twelve years ago “He’s not Hok Yau; he’s not Lai Ming”; like right now, will still invoke it for laughs.

“Made me shed buckets of tears, and suffered public censure,” says Steven, self-deprecatingly.

Even the more discomfiting rumors, be they love affairs or gay affairs; he can now blithely dismiss them all with a laugh. When talking about Ada or Sonija or Frankie, his heartbeats will not abruptly leap to 150; at least in this aspect of his panic attacks it could be cured.


Journalist: Wang Zhi Qiang 王志強
Photographer﹕Qi Qi Ling 戚其麟
credit: mingpao - shall we talk?

TN footnote:
Per his recent diagnosis as reported in the news, his panic attacks might actually be symptoms of a congenital heart disease that accelerates his heart palpitation to as high as 160 beats. Normal range is 60-100 beats. The only cure to this problem is surgery, which Steven has put off indefinitely)

Note 1: On his alleged crush on Ada Choi.
In this interview, Stars Steven denies ever saying he has had a crush on Ada. True, he admired her but that’s as far as it went. The rumor originated with this reporter who did an over-the-phone interview with him as a publicity write-up on the series, On the track or off . The reporter asked him to comment on his co-stars, including Ada.

Steven’s response in Stars (Ming Xin) interview(in Mandarin)
Steven: I said Ada is a good actress, very hardworking. I admire her. That’s all. And the reporter asked: "How long have you guys worked together?" I said in all, about three years or so. Somehow, that became I’ve had a crush on her for three years. That’s the truth, really. ….later, the reporter apologized to me.




马浚伟原名马志伟,改名马浚伟是唱歌老师戴思聪的意思。因被宣传为「翻版黎明」,被黎明歌迷指骂,他觉得连记者也针对他。郭羡妮和马浚伟三年前跳拉丁舞,贴身表演,现在,拍张合照也要高层来拉隆。签华纳时公司要他扮可爱,动作生硬,他说那段时期是「一壳眼泪」。拍《鹿鼎记》做康熙,报纸说他穿起龙袍不似太子,令他伤心了好一阵子。马浚伟成长於白田 ,见惯屋 吸毒、斩人等现象,但他是一名戴金丝眼镜的斯文学生。刚出道做歌手,排舞唱快歌,但他承认出唱片成绩不好,太浪费时间了。随 与经理人范志荣的合作关系结束,其「绯闻」亦告一段落。

第一部担正的电视剧《勇往直前》,做马夫的角色和花名「马仔」呼应,大大增加了观众缘。最初的构思,马浚伟想借只雪橇狗来拍照,比喻别人以为他具侵略性,实则温驯可靠。结果,雪橇狗借不到,变成了金毛寻回犬。也不错,金毛是马浚伟的第二至爱,从来不咬人,也是一个很贴切的比喻。今年七月一日,他签无线经理人合约,象徵回归。回到是非之地,最引人关注的是,如何面对曾经有过绯闻骂战的大小花旦。

「我会做一个基本有礼貌的马浚伟。」
记者要求他和郭羡妮合照,他婉拒了,要由乐易玲来拉隆化解,後来又被写成「黐实高层」。

你不咬人,不代表别人不咬你。
完成这个访问後,马浚伟便要剃头拍清装片。事实证明,无论你是一只任摸任捏的金毛寻回犬,还是一只看来较恶的雪橇狗,要剃毛都不情愿,但主人一声令下,岂敢反抗?因此,人狗合照的主题是忠心。

回到是非之地
马浚伟回到无线,未有新剧面世,就要面对新旧是非。出席中秋活动,连郭羡妮被指在片场随处方便的新闻,也被问及感想和回应。回到是非之地,第一关是考口才。

「我只是讲一个正常人的看法,任何一个女艺人,被这样偷拍,都是不应该的。」

回答大方得体,第二关是考表情,例如避免被拍到怒目而视,或嘴部有「藐」的动作。结果还是被写「互当透明」、「向左走向右走」,这一环节要多加训练。

「记者叫我和郭羡妮合照,我不想太刻意,因此拒绝了,乐小姐(乐易玲)见到场面尴尬,就说:『要合照就大夥儿。』拉 我们企中间。结果杂志就话我死黐实乐小姐,执到枝好筹。既然是这样,要用照片来构思故事,我没有喜怒。」

这种看图作文可说是小儿科,马浚伟曾被称为是非精,最历历在目的是和郭羡妮的一段是非,男的说拍过三个月拖,女的坚决否认说:「我是一个拍过拖会认的人。」最後马浚伟被指利用绯闻博见报。另外还有蔡少芬,他曾多年不断表示倾慕对方,可惜神女无梦,换来一个烦厌男人的形象。

「见到她们,我会做一个基本有礼貌的马浚伟,对任何人都会点头,这一、两年来,我对任何人都不敢乱放感情了。」

不想抓烂面讨清白
和郭羡妮发生绯闻,一个认,一个不认,这样的罗生门,他归咎自己是潮州男人性格,事情要男方吃亏,他情愿咽下肚子里不作声。

「每个男人都应该这样,很多事情男人不方便解释,我宁愿选择不去讲。如果你要我抓烂面去解释,还自己一个清白,我宁愿不要。即使讨回公道,别人也会看不起我,因为男人老狗抓烂面没意思。

「我相信一句话,天知地知你知我知,我不会吵来吵去,反正事情会过去,时间会证明一切,愈解释,别人只觉得你在狡辩。」

对女人要吃亏,对男人也如是,当年签经理人范志荣,不多久便传同性恋,他也深信事实胜於雄辩。

「影又影不到,写他卖车卖楼养我,都无凭无据,一直讲到我离开他的公司,就没有再传了。当时传得那么盛,难道我又拖条女出来澄清?气啦,我没兴趣做那种事。」

大眼袋被笑不开心
马浚伟七月一日跟无线的经理人合约生效,三个月来,拍了一部清装片《会友镖局》,风平浪静,没有传过任何是非。

「现在我的态度是,每一位都是我的同事,一位成熟的艺人,不应该想太多,我不会带私人感受入录影厂,这样对拍戏也有帮助。」

以前和陈淑兰、陈芷菁熟稔,结果因为一些误会而反目,还被怀疑从中搬弄是非。他说,现在怕怕了。

「做完工作,我和娱乐圈的关系就不会太密切。有空会和麦长青、郭锋、何启南去打羽毛球,最近来往最密的艺人是他们,感觉比较舒服。

「过去两年证明,我可以不搞是非,静静地过日子。『唔好搞我』,这四个字我是由衷地说的。」

马浚伟在负面新闻中长大,十二年前刚出道,唱片公司便以「他不是学友,他不是黎明,他是马浚伟」来宣传他,惹来黎明歌迷对他嗤之以鼻。

「我天生容易有眼袋,有一次拍照,顶光照下来,眼肚特别劲,那时因为我扮黎明,记者也不喜欢我,就在图片说明写:『以马浚伟不太多的工作量,黑眼圈已如此厉害,将来工作量增加,样子还可以见人吗?』我看後很不开心。

「拍《鹿鼎记》要剃光头,我已经觉得很大牺牲,几份报纸写我『著起龙袍唔似太子,怎和刘德华比呀?』工作是无线安排的,不是我的错,原来,很多事情不关自己事,也可以被人批评,不开心也没有用。」

大陆拍戏被威吓
马浚伟○三年拍完《金牌冰人》,○四年约满范志荣的建星,便趁机到外面闯,不用经理人,自己安排工作。

「最好的是没有人抽佣,片酬100%自己袋。去年一年赚到三年的钱,接了很多工作,演唱会也开了六场,原来以前经理人抽佣都几劲。」

一个人闯江湖,第一次经历被人拖数,又要亲自打电话去追。「明明应该俾,倒转要我去求他们付钱,好像是我不近人情,很多人欺善怕恶。」

追债也是新经历,马浚伟可说是大开眼界。到广东梅州拍片,又遇上威逼事件,差点被打。

「这是我入行以来遇过最荒谬的事,原本是拍片,到了的士高场地,才知拉起横额,变成了演唱会,一百二十元一张门票。他们把我和女助手锁在卡拉OK房,一个男人站在我旁边,凶神恶煞的,问我可不可以上台唱几首歌,我说不唱,他好像想打我,我打电话向电影公司老板求救,才能脱险。结果报了公安,接 那十天,有两个公安跟 我出入。」

出唱片浪费时间
在外面有风有雨,但最重要有自由。今年二月,无线找他签经理人约,他挣扎了五个月,才决定动笔。

「始终自己安排工作不长远,别人认同我,是因为在无线的剧集,多过我的唱片,虽然我是歌手出身,但一定要知道自己的定位,很多人认为我是拍剧的,不认为我识唱歌,最多只唱主题曲,忘记了我是出唱片入行,所以最终也要签无线,才可以保持知名度。」

年多前离开跟了十年的范志荣,别人认为他们「感情」告终,他说其实是因为大家理念不同。

「他想我多唱歌,我喜欢在TVB拍剧,当中有矛盾。当时为了出唱片,推了一些剧,其实我想接。在旧公司,唱片的成绩又不是特别理想,为唱片推剧很不值,不如用做唱片的时间拍剧,出了街又有一堆工作。他们替我接工作的价钱定得贵,很多工作只闻楼梯响,最後因为价钱太贵不成事。其实我觉得不用收太贵,假如十元我已经会做,他们开价三十,再慢慢还价,很多人一开始已经吓走了。」

现在签无线,他信公司不会狮子开大口,又不用自己追尾期。「珍姐说:『你不用烦啦,我们成个律师团,没有人敢赖猫。』」

马浚伟一味说签无线安心又放心,忠心如此,TVB又多了一只金毛寻回犬。

惊恐症
六年前,马浚伟发现患上惊恐症。因为母亲有鼻咽癌,马仔照顾了她廿二年,拍戏时也担心随时要去医院,结果累积的压力,导致患上情绪病。

「没有什么原因发作,心跳乱晒,有一次还差点晕倒,有知觉但呼吸不到。」

每次病发时,心脏会跳到150至160(正常约为60至100),他随身携带药物,以备不时之需。

「医生说,这个病无得医,无得断尾,总之会跟一世。」

很多事情,也是跟一世,像十二年前的「他不是学友,他不是黎明」宣传口号,到现在,仍要拿出来笑一笑。

「搞到我一壳眼泪,受千夫所指。」马浚伟拿来自嘲。

还有更尴尬的各种男女绯闻、男男gay闻,他也可以尽付笑谈中,讲起蔡少芬郭羡妮范志荣,心脏不会跳到150,这方面的惊恐症,总算有得医。

No comments:

Post a Comment