Monday, April 9, 2012

Steven Ma: Mainland China tv series have high standard

This is the 2nd piece to Steven Ma's 5 piece interview
馬浚偉專訪 ~ 「大膽浚言」之二
enlarged pix link

Edited to include vid link. 
Steven's words in video are those highlighted in purple.
Corrections per video to the printed reported are highlighted in brown.

馬浚偉:內地劇水平高
 on.cc news report   2012 4/10
on.cc uploaded vid   2012 5/06

With the filming of 'Legend of the Yuan Dynasty Founder' behind him, Steven Ma, having earlier terminated his TVB management contract prematurely, now as a freelancer has accepted as his first job a 25-episode mainland series that paid him 3.5 million yuan.

Although Steven derives much satisfaction from earning his 'first pot of gold' in mainland, he asserts that earning money is not the most satisfying yet, what's most satisfying to him is that he can become among the valued artists in the recent Hong Kong television war.

Actually filming 'LOTYEF' has broadened my horizon.  Siu Ming gor (Director Tsui Siu Ming) filmed the series with a movie feel to it, very meticulously done. A few years ago per TVB arrangement I participated in a mainland series but that was long time ago.  Nowadays, the tv series with mainland investments are an eye opener for me. The investment for LOTYEF itself was 150 (sic. Steven said 120 mil not 150 mil as reported in this article) million yuan. My participation has given me a good experience, and a good start to my venture into mainland.

Since regaining my freedom, my first series, a pre-modern drama, is one that I picked on my own. In the series, I officially became a lead actor (in mainland). The role requires a person to portray two characters; there's lots of room for improvisation. As an actor to be given this kind of role, I'm truly grateful. The production troupe has also invited the seasoned, award winning costumes designer, (HK and Taiwan movies golden awards) Bobo  吳寶玲 , to do my makeover. She has designed more than 10 western suits for me. (Heard your fee was 140,000 yuan per episode), actually money is not my primary consideration, for instance, if the character is not suitable or that the quality of the script is average, I may not have the courage to accept the role.

More Opportunities Therefore More Valued
As to my taking the first step to earn the so-called first pot of pot, actually the credit to TVB should not be erased because in the past TVB had also helped me find many pots of gold.  Incidentally, recently the number of free-to-air tv stations has increased considerably, greatly impacting the television industry but it is a good thing because the healthy competition provides available choices to many artists and crews. More opportunities aside, I myself have become more valued (by others).

Awash in Artist Poaching Tide
Also, I just happened to encounter the artists poaching tide. I admit I did have contacts with other tv stations.  But for now I want to have a bit more freedom, so I maintain only a friend relationship with the people in the industry who have previously contacted me such as Ricky (CTI Ricky Wong). Last year he had already approached me but as for our collaborating it is too early yet, however, I do appreciate his drive. And Siu Ching jie (Producer Miu Siu Ching), who has now joined NowTV, has a good relationship with me but I still have not decided.  After terminating my contract with TVB, Zhan jie (TVB executive, Catherine Tsang) has had also talked to me but I want to venture outside.  People say that TVB big tree provides good shade, but for me, I would like to have more flexibility for now.


口述:馬浚偉
筆錄:影視組
服裝:Bally

1st part link




No comments:

Post a Comment