Sunday, April 8, 2012

Steven Ma:Most worried Linda Chung Bullied!

 馬浚偉專訪 ~ 「大膽浚言」之一
enlarged pix link
 qq link

Edited to include On.cc video (1) on Tavia Yeung
On.cc.video (4) on Fala's straightforward character and Linda Chung's naivety.
Steven's words in video are those highlighted in purple.


Steven Ma joined TVB 19 years ago as a singer turned actor, and later becoming TVB  first line siu sang. He has filmed countless tv series but has had few romantic rumors, however he has great affinity with Tavia Yeung, Fala Chen and Linda Chung, respectively. With his rich life experiences he occasionally counseled these three women and also tried to help them resolve their problems, and so by and by, he unconsciously took on the role of a big brother to them.  Starting today for 5 days consecutively, Steven will reconstruct his growth fragments to piece together his journey of singer turned actor,  and other details of his life.

Over the years at TVB, besides my three god sisters, Tavia, Fala and Linda, there are many other artists including Kenneth Ma who also called me 'Big Brother' but I get along better with Linda, Fala and Tavia, who I also collaborated the most with, and have the most fate with. I first met Linda in 2004 when she filmed her first tv series, Virtues of Harmony 2 《皆大歡喜》and at that time she was already playing a couple with me.  In 2007, Fala acted my younger sister in 'Steps' ,  and in 2009 Tavia collaborated with me in Sweetness in the Salt as a couple and we became acquainted.

Admit to be tight-lip and an Attentive Listener
Although we did not formally become god-siblings we do maintain a very good relationship. We chat often and I am more than willing to help them resolve their problems. I admit I am very tight-lip. When they talked to me I would just listen. And if I gave them advice I would just as quickly forget what I said. Once the younger sisters finished venting they would be ok! But if there is stuff they need me to resolve I would do my utmost to help them. I believe it is because of this that they let their guards down with me. My birthday earlier on last year, the three sisters all came to celebrate with me.

I once told them if they were ever bullied by anybody, they must speak up. I won't let anybody bully my three sisters! Although I'm no martial art expert but I can support and help, and would unhesitatingly lend a helping hand, this is my promise to them!



Praises Tavia for having a brotherhood feel
Actually, they all gave out a different feel to me. Tavia is a very independent woman, and among the three sisters has the least problems. I don't need to worry about her. She is a person who upon seeing me from afar would come running over to give me a hug. Personality wise, she is more tomboyish compare to the other two,  at the same time, more mature. Our relationship has a very brotherhood feel. haha! Athough we don't get to see each other often, I am still fond of her.

Fala is like a little girl when with me, and is also a very straightforward person, so much so she may even offend people unknowingly.  I've seen her relationship with reporter was not too good, her way of communicating was also quite odd.. so I as the big brother would advise her. For instance, her tone may not be all that appropriate,  so I would suggest to her to improve on how to express herself. Fortunately, she listened to me. I often remind her to do self-reflection because artists and the media are interrelated like lips and teeth, we should be mutually understanding of each other, and mutually supportive of each other.  In most things, don't be too overly stubborn! Recently, I've noticed Fala's improvement. Last week over the phone, I recounted my experiences to her; other people not necessary would accept your first reaction! Although being smooth and slick entails some fibbing,  which actually I can't accept, but I'll use a different method to handle this: I choose not to speak! That way, I don't have to lie.

Exhort to maintain a pure heart
I have known Linda the longest but she is actually the one I am most worried about. One time, she left a message on my weibo saying that she is a big girl now, but I still worried because Linda is truly too naive, too simple and can be easily bullied.  Working at TVB inside its 'greenhouse' protection, of course she is fine.  But if she works outside TVB then that is tough to say. Back when Linda just entered the industry, we were having lunch together and I exhorted her that learn whatever she wishes to learn but do not learn to become bad, do not do 'unclean' things.  Must maintain a clean and pure heart. Linda has been able to do that. And her acting have improved much, I feel very gratified.

Maybe because I am used to taking care of my real sisters at home, so my words may come across as old fashioned, a bit of a father feel. But I am lucky to have found three sisters that I both respect and care for, and vice verse.

Fala Chen's wish for an Older Brother is half-fulfilled
Fala Chen, whose personality Steven Ma says is straightforward, is full of praises for this god-brother of hers. As the only child, she admitted candidly that she once wanted so much to have an older brother. She laughingly said that her wish is now half fulfilled after coming to Hong Kong and getting to know Steven Ma. "When I acted in 'Steps' I was still a newbie. If he found this leng miu (youngster) lacking in anything...he would mention it, especially on how to conduct myself when handling interpersonal situations. In many situations he taught to be patient and to control my feelings. When faced with a situation, don't run off my mouth at the first instant. That could easily offend other people without even my knowing it. In this field, he has good affinity with people and has experienced much, so of course, I will listen to his opinions, at the same time, grateful to him for teaching me interpersonal skills.  I have also mentioned this older brother to my mother. Previously during Ghost Writer promotion, my mother came to Hong Kong to support me and she got to meet Steven. Even though we did not ceremoniously officiated our honorary sibling-hood but we keep up our relationship really well. We are sincere in our interactions. I know Ah Gor does not care much for ceremony."

4 close brothers
Steven besides having three beautiful god-sisters in the entertainment circle also has three very good brothers: Evergreen Mak, Dexter Young, and Lam King Kong, whom he has been friends for many years and often hang out outside work.  He expresses that their friendship is gradually accumulated over the years, and they are close like family.

"Evergreen and I have a very strong relationship. In 2002, we became acquainted when we filmed TVB 'Where the Legend Begins'. Dexter Young will get married in July (he registered last year) and of course he has invited me to his wedding banquet. During that time, I should be in Beijing filming another mainland China series but no matter what I will definite apply for leave to attend Dexter's wedding banquet, and also be part of bis groomsmen party. As for the other close friend he's Lam King Kong.  Not everybody may know about our friendship but people in the industry often always say "there's not true relationship in showbiz" . I think we have broken this saying. It could be that the people who said this have not encountered a true friend yet or maybe they are unwilling to hand out their heart to communicate with other people. Actually, artists are not necessarily "phonies".

TN: I would rather Steven stop talking about his 3 sisters, constantly. He comes across as a too overly fussy big brother but the truth is he's not their big brother. These 3 fadans are doing just fine in TVB unlike him. So who among them need protection?


see related articles
see radio interview 2010 Mala

2 comments:

  1. the last para/sentences is it, supposedly artists are not necessarily "fake people"

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess hypocrites or phonies maybe a better word. Thanks

    ReplyDelete