Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Edited: April 6 2014 WE! Talk Channel

eta: Scroll down to the last video for transcript on Steven's conversion to Christianity.
note: From Steven's outfit, this interview is a very outdated interview taken around 2013 Mother's Day event.  Btw, Steven looks really good in vids.  Basically, he is repeating what he said in this 'footprints' radio interview -- except now we have the treat of watching him on video.  Goto youtube link1, link2, link3 to watch him on a hd 1080p resolution.  So envious that Steven's flawless complexion can withstand the scrutiny of extreme close ups - how amazing is that? And he's dressed so colorfully - haha!

WE! Talk 第一集 - 馬浚偉-十年.音樂
about his new music album


第二集 - 馬浚偉-自責.打擊
talks about his mother's last surgery and his lingering guilt that he 'pushed' her to take the surgery.
Similar to this radio interview on his late mother -- Footprints - transcript



WE! Talk 第三集 - 馬浚偉-難關.釋懷  Adversities. Steven's letting go
Segment on sister's Christian faith during SARS and how she dealt with their mother's death.



WE Channel @ youtube

Verbatim transcript

S: At that time I was very angry. I felt no one can help me, only that God was being too much (unfair). She (sister) said  Don’t worry, God will help you. When I heard that I had goose bumps. God gives you such powerful strength? Honestly, it (her speech) did not help me at the time. I did not believe in Christ then. My mother passing away subsequently afflicted me with a mood disorder. A year or so later, my maternal grandmother passed away and then came my younger sister being diagnosed with cancer.  And then my other sister because of pregnancy complications had problems too. So a successive series of problems bombarded me one after another, ultimately making me a total wreck. (tn: his and Sonija Kwok's scandal only added to his accumulated stress)

My older sister(s) (jie jie) and younger sister (mui) are Christians. At the time I was surprised at how differently they handled their problems vs mine. At the time, I said: (tn: to God)  ‘What’s wrong with you? (yao mou gau co?) You (God) don’t have to oppress me this much wo?’  But whether it’s my younger sister, (she herself has cancer but is still very positive) or my jie jie, she’s literally being poisoned (tn: edema?); there she was lying unconsciousness, her body swelled up as if being pumped full with air, and then her unborn child suddenly lost audible heat beats so immediately had to do a cesarean surgery to get the baby out. I collapsed. (tn: her son subsequently born mentally impaired)

And I still had to film a series at the same time. I was filled with rage;  I felt no one could help me; that God was being so unjust. And then came SARS (2003) when God gave me the first signal. My 2nd sister is a nurse. During the SARS period, the medical field workers were worried and their families also worried for them, and maybe they themselves were also feeling the stress so many of them declined to work.  Even watching the TV news made me scared too. So I said to my sister, why not skip work? What if you were infected, what would you do? But my sister said this to me: “Steven, think what if you or father suddenly got infected with SARS, but us nurses and doctors all fled, who’s going to treat you?" I was struck dumb. I did not know how to counter her. And then she said:  "Don’t worry, God will watch over me. He will give me strength." When I heard it I immediately had goose bumps. I thought to myself, God gave such powerful strength to you? How come you can always tell me that God would do this and God would do that. Even when my mother died my 2nd sister though of course was heartbroken was calm, she comforted me that mother was now in the heavenly home. I told her don’t talk to me of such things. This incident (SARS) was a big breakthrough, and thereafter I began to see God’s hands on little things.

But it wasn’t until 5 years ago (2007?) that I truly opened up my heart to Him. But since 2003 SARS henceforth there were many little things, be they family or outside, that there were many little angels were by my side.  Christ’s most profound power was changing my attitude and my mindset. What He gradually instilled in me was this sense of comfort. Henceforth, whatever problems or setbacks or adversity, I like to treat them as a blessing in disguise. I persistently tell myself or those with me when confronted with a problem, or a challenge, or a setback, or a hurt; I would treat it as a blessing in disguise. Tested, went through, subsequently it’s a xxx (?3:53)

First off, I also like this one aspect of Christ whereby on that day He forgave us, He said: "Just treat it like they did not know they were wrong; they did not know they did wrong." So in real life, would I point out a person’s transgression to him/her, I would. View from a different perspective, maybe that person is facing problems that I don’t know about, I apply the message of Christ that most touched me - that He forgave us and took over the burden on our behalves because we did not know we were wrong. Of course there’s no way I can do it as well as Christ but I’ll lean towards this perspective to view the situation. Actually even before I became a Christian, I had hoped that there were less extreme or negative dissemination of messages (tn: in films?). But as actor, one shouldn’t be that way. But as to how it (Christian) affects my acting career I’m truly grateful to Christ for this one thing which is, I can slowly let go; no more burdens. Actually not having burdens to me is very important. So this is a very big blessing from Christ so that I can be very relax and very professional in expressing what I want to express myself as an actor, a singer, or any stage performances. Success or failure, gains or losses, truly don’t think about it. Even releasing this album: wai, are you worried about your songs, or maybe when my series is airing, ai, what’s there to worry about? Put everything in God’s hands. So long you did the proper process, that’s enough. It all depends on how serious you were during the process, and that you did your best during the process; don’t worry about the result. Something when God wants you to do you will willingly do it. Something that God does not want you to do as to even arrange very inexplicable happenings xxxx (5:50) so instead I become light-hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment