Monday, January 30, 2012

Steven desires more challenging roles

On many different occasions besides the two stated below, Steven had reiterated his wish to portray different characters from his usual upright protagonists that he has been pigeon holed into. So in this new year, hope Steven will encounter challenging roles that showcase his acting chops and make his shine.

excerpted from WilliamWangKH @ youtube

weibo entry 2/17/2011
......Actually, I do not choose to portray only the righteous protagonists, sometimes, tired of it too! More specifically, the righteous protagonists are actually more difficult to portray! After all these years, I’m still not tired? Fibbing you la! But anyway, I’m willing to experiment. You all like? Then I’m willing!....

News 2009:Desire to act a villain
“I have tried a lot of different characters. But I really want to act as a villain, a vivid villain. It’s very difficult to act as villain.

difficult to laugh or cry intensely
There’s one quota Mazai reserved for himself: “I want to be the antagonist for once. The kind that viewers like and not hate; that’s what I hope for. I’m always portraying the good guy; a constantly good person will bore people.”

yahoo blog CNY
As an actor, even though I’m still far from being veteran, but these 10 years or so acting experiences have taught me how an actor must continue to strive for self-improvement through challenges and changes. If I continue to persist on portraying similar ‘good’ characters, maybe my supporters will like them, but truth be told, I believe not only a huge portion of the viewers will be tired of this sameness, so would I. 

People have to grow up; actors too need to grow. Acting is an art. 


news mag 2007 
TVseries mag: You’ve been in many shows, most of them as protagonist. But in the past, many TVB male leads have acted as antagonists leaving deep impression to the viewers. Have you thought about taking the role of an antagonist?

S: I’ve often requested the company to cast me as a villain. But…. There are different types of villains. Some people seem to be born evil. (smile) This kind is pointless. I want to portray a person with a story. There must be reasons behind his turning evil, unless he’s psychotic. Actually, I would like to take on the role of a psychotic killer, or something similar; like he would randomly kill anybody he sees but when he sees a child, he stops. The kind of character that will arouse people’s curiosity as to his motive. Actually, it is always been this way: even the most evil person has his/her good side, likewise, a good person has his/her dark side. Anyway, I hope I’ll have an opportunity to take up different roles.

news report 2007
During his interview, Steven, who will replace Moses in an upcoming period drama, Gentle Crackdown 2, disclosed that if given the chance to choose his own character role, he would love to portray a schizophrenic or someone suffering depression. “Nowadays, there are many people afflicted with mental illness. I, myself, have many friends who are depressed or have had suffered depression. No matter how advanced the medical technology may be today, there is no device that can yet probe into mental patients’ minds to study their thoughts. So, if such a role comes up, I would love the challenge of playing this kind of character. He said the role may greatly affect his moods; but nonetheless, he is still very keen to take up this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment